HOW TO BASSLINE Thread

Re: DIRTY BASSLINES EXCHANGE THREAD + HOW2!

well im trying to recreate that electro-thingy bassline from Spor - Aztec but i have no idea how to do it.... Any ideas?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGBJTwRTrCs

@ Minty Rust: Pretty basic - sure its done with NI Massive. I can hear alot of Scrap-Yard playing in it. Set the osc to Bend+ and assign an LFO to the WT-Positions. Should be a good starting point ;)

Can anyone help me try to make a Bukem style bass like the one used in Horizons and similar tunes - probably quite simple but seem to be going round in circles

Anyone know how I would make this style of bassline. I'm using Logic 9 and synthesizer within Logic. I'm pretty much newbie to production. Any help would be great. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Can anyone help me try to make a Bukem style bass like the one used in Horizons and similar tunes - probably quite simple but seem to be going round in circles

i swear thats just an 808 sample, if not try low passing a square with a envelpoe on the filter with no attack and a little decay and play with the sustain. you are talking about this kind of bass? :

Anyone know how I would make this style of bassline. I'm using Logic 9 and synthesizer within Logic. I'm pretty much newbie to production. Any help would be great. Thanks :)

link dont work

i swear thats just an 808 sample, if not try low passing a square with a envelpoe on the filter with no attack and a little decay and play with the sustain. you are talking about this kind of bass? :

Cool thanks, found a kick drum that had a similar sound so thought it might be something like that but will give your advice a go as well

I have a Noisia - Machine Gun style patch I worked on before I went on holiday, had 3 hours to kill and I was bored out of my tits...it's not spot on but it's pretty good and responds well with the low pass, i'll upload when I get my hard drive back!

I like to use massive for my Mid/High Bass and the Es2 or Exs24 in logic for my subs. What i usually do, is layer a Sub, with a mid/high bass over the top EQing out the bottom end so it doesn't conflict with my kick or subs. Messing around with the auto filter, Distortions, reverbs and stereo spreading helps to create a fatter sounding bass line...But remember to keep that Sub bass pure! I've only been producing for about 6 months now. So i have much to learn! :D (Btw i know my tune here is dubstep, but i don't have any dirty DnB yet, it's mainly chilled out stuff. Have a look, i'd much appreciate it :D)

Last edited:

I find that lots of saws slighty detuned by odd numbers, 3, 5, 7 cents works nice, high pass the low end off, add distortion, notch filter to wobble (BW changes size of bass), then cook up a nice sub bass to fill up the bottom of a mix.

I haven't yet tried the kick drum idea, Ill have to try that out and see what I get.

Edit: Band Pass Filter, not notch :P notch still sounds cool though.

Last edited:

Could someone maybe help me figure out something similar to the bass in this?

:D

Try detuning some saw waves and add a shit ton of distortion on the plugin your using and the fx channel its going to. Maybe even a phaser at the end only slightly to get it morphing.

But if your using massive have 3 saws on the go one at 33 one at -33 and one at 0 set the filters to series and put a double notch to begin with with a slow moving lfo with the restart off so it doesnt retrigger the lfo. Add a daft or scream filter on the second. go to your routing and have insert 2 on the last section of the sequence then put a frequency shifter on it. now the trick here is to only slightly move the pitch up or down by a few milli cents???.....in other words only ever so slightly. (you can probably hear delta heavy tracks/ Cns basses if uve done it right)
Then turn the dry wet all the way to the left so its off, stick an envelope on it and go back to half way. then make a big attack so the noise starts wobbling well after its hit, now u can automate the pitch to have it wobble faster or slower. after all that highpass it slightly and layer it with a sub. or if the sub in the above isnt too messy just use that one.

Also add a phase modulation to one of the saws and do the same style attack on it so it starts modulating after the initial hit. i havent tried this lol but thats my guess at what im hearing, to be honest the cliips you have shown are more than likely samples of reece's, looped and pitch bent to various notes its quite a simple an effective trick just have to have the right high quality sample to begin with.

Personally i hate using samples so try the above idea and then sample it lol then pitch bend accordingly to the notes u want.

Good luck!

Nice one, thanks for that. Just had a try of it, not sounding spot on but it's making some pretty crazy sounds :P
Thanks man.

Can anyone help me out with some jump up production? im trying to make that screechy sound you get but failing lol, i.e tunes like pleasure - slosh pit, guv - dnt push me,and 3rd degree gurns them type of noises, appreciate it if anyone could help me out! Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom