HOW TO BASSLINE Thread

Re: DIRTY BASSLINES EXCHANGE THREAD + HOW2!

any links to massive synth ( com,, wizards ?) im slow in computer talk , thanks

Please do explain it! That's just the kind of bassline I've been trying my darndest to create! Especially the swirly, twisted high-end screech... Is that just automation? If so, what did you automate?

I started out with a reece on my korg, and I put it thru a preamp and clipped it a bit, and that twisted high end screen is me messing with the modwheel, which is set to the filter cutoff which is on a highpass I believe. Then I split the bass into 3 parts, one is highpassed to around 150 and has a chorus on it, then next is highpassed a bit further to 500 or so and has tridirt going, pushing the high's in the distortion, then that distorted one has a flanger on it, then the last one is lowpassed to around 60 or so, and limited. Then I put all those into one bus and put some compression on it, to squeeze them all together.

Mind you that was made a while back so I have new methods for making a dirty bassline but you get the point haha

could someone help me out with how to create this sort of sound? ive tried and tried and tried but everthing i do sounds dule and borring, doesnt have the punch this does! any ideas??

Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator:

Noisia/Phace style Bass

I don't know if this is a technique they use but it gives a similar result.

1-Open Massive

2-Set Osc 1 to square

3-Set Osc 2 to Saw and tune an octave higher

4-set up a 2 pole LP filter with a little res (you only need the 1 so make sure the other filter has no output)

5-Set the Mod osc to FM on the filter and tune it to about 12 cents

6-Add a little tube distortion/Reverb

7-Fine tune the Cutoff/Res and FM amount and you should a have a typical Phace/Noisia Growl to resample

A shit quick video I did while blazed, the next video will be with a proper mic and the direct sound from cubase

Basiclaly the bass in this^ from the drop and the breakdown. Kinda seems like a low passed reece but it's not. tried it with square waves too. Typical Sub bass with a hollowish liquid twisted vibe.

Any ideas?

Fucking tune aswell btw ;)

I could be way off but that sounds like 2 sines detuned abit maybe 20, -20 on formant. sounds alot like commix bass and thats the jist of it.

Hi guys! I think i can help with bass technique.

*First - sorry for my English, im from Moldova :)

*Second - Lets start with a video lesson that may help u with basics of eq, bass spliting and some Fx configurations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po347pBc50s . Try to copy all hes moves , Fx and EQ configurations by pressing pause when its needed ;).
Now if u did all right, you will have first step and long road for experiments!
I started with this tutorial and after loooong time of i made it sound like this - http://www.sendspace.com/file/wyq5fq

*Third - What i added \ changed in Second step :
Mid chanel - (1st chanel in video) Vst Antares tube changed to Avox Warm and added chorus and phaser.
Sub chanel - Routed chanel right to master (not the bass master ch.) added compressor and a bit of chorus.
Hi chanel - Added Vst Camel Phat 3 (used only distortion!), SPL Twin Tube, BBE Soul Vibe and Fruity Stereo Shaper.
Master chanel - added One more EQ with low pass, Multiband Compressor and BBE Soul Vibe(low intensity).
So after all this steps you shoud play with Band Pass automatisations (Edit events), and u will get wicked sound!

P.S - If u want to sound crazy, try to get your own sound! More experimets!

Thats all.. i think u will understand my bad English, and if have questions - ask me, woud be glad to help!

My tunes - http://www.myspace.com/556253150

Last edited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYSRKPtOAQE

Hey does any one know how to recreate the bassline in this song, I've been trying to get it for months now and what I keep coming up with doesn't sound anywhere close to this. I know it might not sound exactly like this but any help would be nice. Also I'm running logic and I'm pretty new to it in terms of vocabulary so please forgive me if I ask any stupid questions.

What a weird ass song, that raw one. It's call that a reece, and sometimes a lemon d type kick bass. For that reece, it has a filter envelope on it at times, I'd go with looking back for growling basslines, I'm too busy to recreate that too in-depth now really

hahaha yeah i know the song is weird but i can't get enough of that bassline Also i'm using logic, is there a reece in that? i've only seen tutorials with people using reeces and they weren't using logic.

Last edited:

just follow the tutorials linked in this thread to make precisely that bass. theyre linked in the beginning of the thread somewhere. follow them and get back to us with the result, would be fun to hear what you come up with

one thing i can tell you about sub basses is that if they are wrong they will just completely crush everything else out in the mastering stage. a simple sine wave with a lowpass filter is a basic sub bass. i assign a standard compressor to it and then turn the ratio as far up as it will go with the attack and release at 0, by doing this you shouldnt have any problems with it over powering everything else.
a good bassline is made up for layers, high end the midrange and then a sub bass undernieth.
im not exactly an expert im pretty new to production aswell but i hope this has helped someone lol.

This time I've tried endless times before i've posted here. I'm trying to learn how to make better growly, techy etc bass sounds but everything I make seems to end up not sharp enough. So i'm aiming to make a sound for example like in 26s in this video...

and about 33s in this one.

The closest I can get is:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/841704664dd2b7da/ (<That link should stream.)

Which is pretty poor if you ask me.
I know this isn't the most straightforward question, but atleast it isn't ask how to make a noisia bass :teeth:

Last edited:

My ways for a reece are starting out with a graphic eq (31 bands) and to eq out the resonant peaks, and boosting what sounds good, highpassing a lowpassing what's needed, (usually I highpass or lowpass until I hear or feel it affecting the sound), this way the freq. you don't want will never be in your sound in any way, it's alright if your sound doesn't fill the spectrum at this point, it will later. Then some fattening with 2 different types of distortion, either tape and tube, overdrive and tube, you know. I may use a guitar amp at this point and duplicate it to mix it in there a bit to give it grit. Now that the sound has some bite and there's more highend from the distortion, I use a bit of flanging for slight movement. (mind you at this point I've already highpassed all this to 50 hz or so and make a seperate duplicate for the sub only). Now I try some basic filtering, automated bandpasses, lfo's, whatever to give it a bit of movement, but not all too extreme. If I like everything I hear, taking only filth for an answer, I resample. Now I add some phasers, sometimes two for some richness, and rotary's are nice too for the filtering modulation knob it sometimes has, I do more extreme filtering here now, either a sweep up or down from a wah, bandpass or low pass or highpass. I may add some limiting to glue it all together, and if it sounds good, push the limiter to it's limit for some distortion. Some extra small distortion sounds nice here, as the freq. have been stripped a bit again so it's time to add them back. I do some eqing again to remove any freq. that has been added and to give it character and to focuss the attention where I want it. I resample again, then I try some more filtering, and processing etc... Now if you want some noisia basslines then do this again a few times and use a different base sound or pitch. This all could take a long time, and then crossfade between them, possibly when you hear one highpass up, you bring another in as the highpassed one fades away, then back. who knows.

This time I've tried endless times before i've posted here. I'm trying to learn how to make better growly, techy etc bass sounds but everything I make seems to end up not sharp enough. So i'm aiming to make a sound for example like in 26s in this video...

and about 33s in this one.

The closest I can get is:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/841704664dd2b7da/ (<That link should stream.)

Which is pretty poor if you ask me.
I know this isn't the most straightforward question, but atleast it isn't ask how to make a noisia bass :teeth:

Been after this sound aswell. Anyone can help us ?

Been after this sound aswell. Anyone can help us ?

Doesn't sound like there's much work in the middle freq. so that might be what's wrong, try taking out some of that midrange

I would really like to know how to do the bassline from Delta Heavy - Space Time, guess everybody knows this song so I dont really have to explain which part I mean. lol

cheers!

Back
Top Bottom