How to apply to be a football mananger....

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by spiderfran286, Jan 28, 2010.

1. spiderfran286

spiderfran286 "Yes, squid pro roe..."

Every football fan up and down the country fancies themselves as a football manager. Indeed, looking on from the terraces, we will always have an opinion on every move, every decision, every substitution, every moment.

Could an unknown from the stands really take on the challenge of managing a Championship team? Many think so – and in between the tens of dozens of genuine applications from experienced managers, there were quite a few relative ‘unknowns’ that applied for the recently vacant Sheffield Wednesday job. Some were genuine offers, some were a little ‘crackpot’ and some were purposefully amusing.

So, taking advice from those applicants (and featuring genuine quotes from the applications and CV’s themselves), we have put together this guide on applying for a football manager job.

1. TALK UP YOUR RELEVANT EXPERIENCE

Experience in the game is everything, so it’s always good to include details of relevant experience in your application, as these potential candidates did:
    Those applicants were vaguely relevant to the role of football manager, but what do you write if you’ve never been fortunate enough to control a football team?
    And of course, there’s no experience like computer simulation games:
    However, our favourite highlights of experience throughout the speculative applications, were the following:

2. BIG UP YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS

It is said that a football manager is only ever as good as their last result, so writing your achievements goes a long way to getting you considered for the job:
    Ouch! Perhaps the gamers and fantasy-managers had had better luck?
    A lot of the time, what you achieve with the players and personalities is what means the most...

* "I was Tomas Brolin’s Fitness trainer.
    * I worked with Zinedine Zidane and taught him all he knows about keeping his cool.
    * I was Kevin Davis’ fitness coach throughout the 2008/2009 campaign.
    * I have been Dijibril Cisse’s hair stylist throughout his whole professional career.
    * I was previously Peter Risdale’s accountant.
    * I overlooked Massimo Taibi’s short but arguably successful stint (I won’t call it a career) at Manchester United.
    * I have worked with the great Rodney Marsh as his tact coach”

Of course, being a football manager you have to have your excuses ready for when things go wrong, a skill this applicant clearly demonstrated:

3. EXPLAIN YOUR PLANS

A recruiting Chairman is always looking for enthusiasm, resilience, positivity and forward thinking, so you should demonstrate this in your application.

Of course, having an idea of the kind of players and backroom staff you plan to bring into the side would help too...

4. SEPERATE YOURSELF FROM OTHER APPLICANTS

You never know if Alex Ferguson, Roberto Mancini, Jose Morinho or Arsene Wenger have also applied for the job, so you need to demonstrate what makes you stand out above the rest of the applicants.
    Showing initiative is also something that will get your application noticed:
    And a Chairman needs to know that you’ll fit in just right with the team, so it’s always good to let him know...
    5. SET OUT YOUR EXPECTATIONS

Of course, you shouldn’t be expected to work for free – so let your potential employer know exactly what you deserve in return for your services.
    6. SOUND LIKE YOU’RE IN DEMAND

You’re not going to wait around forever for the call and the Chairman needs to know that, so be up front about where you stand.
    If this club doesn’t want you then perhaps there are others that will snap up your obvious ability?
    7. BE ACCURATE

It’s well known that you should check your spelling before sending in a job application. As part of this you should also always make sure you have got your potential employers’ name right before posting...
    Typo’s can be forgiven though. But not knowing where you will be working?
    As you can see, filtering through the applications was extremely difficult; however, former Preston man Alan Irvine was eventually selected as the man to lead Sheffield Wednesday up the table.

Remember to take on board the above advice next time you apply for a football manager’s job and perhaps you too will land that dream role. A big thanks to all the people who speculatively applied for the manager’s job, whether serious or in jest – this blog is for you!

(All quotes used are genuine)

James Hargreaves - Sheffield Wednesday Football Club

2. pitts

pitts Member

haha good read

3. spiderfran286

spiderfran286 "Yes, squid pro roe..."

good init! some ppl are proper proper daft....

4. Code:Red

Code:Red Defiant

i wish i had the patience to read all that, cba though

5. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

haha i love these, whenever wba have managerial posts you get a few nutters posting cvs etc.

I'm gonna do it next time just so i can get the rejection letter and frame it :D