How to Analogue my world?

tewky1

VIP Junglist
Okay, I have Ableton on my computer. I have a Line 6 UX2 Audio Interface(guitar based). I have a couple of nice Guitar tube amps(one with a lush Univibe effect on it, I wanna know what that does to the bass :) ), and a collection of some pedal effects(OD, Delay, Distortion, Wah). I own a dodgy copied Shure 57.

Okay how can I set things up so I can stick some bass through my outboard guitar stuff? Then get it back into the computer?

Do I need some more kit?

If you have a mixing board, I believe you can utilize a signal chain like this:

Computer/DAW > Audio Interface Output > External FX > External Mixer Input > External Mixer Output > Audio Interface Input > DAW.

When you record this processed sound, make sure you do so at a very high sample & bit rate. Also, in this case the A/D D/A converters within your audio interface will play a key role in determining the quality of the end result.

Hey Lost, wouldn't be enough for him to just get the sound straight from the mic or effect output connected to the soundcard, instead of passing thru a mixer?!
I mean, yea, a mixer will add even more color and helps on balancing the levels, but it's not extremely necessary.
I can possibly be wrong, it's just curiosity.

Anyway Tewky, I think you got enough toys to play around and definetely find some juicy sounds out of your little collection.
Do you need anything else? Yes, we will never have enough toys and gears. The more the better.... ;P
But, as Lost pointed out, a decent mixer should be on your desk when talking of mix analog stuff. IMO.

it is enough, i sometimes record guitar that way for demo stuff before shoving it through a proper set up with a preamp and all that crap. you get a bad quality signal though and spend half of the time repairing it. just a preamp might be enough to keep it sweet, if you can go direct into your sound card.

all great ideas. im getting bored off my tits without any damn music gear. just remember to turn off the send from your input to to your main out or youll get feedback. if you want to dick around even further you record to tape, but i have to say, i did taht, and it wasnt a big deal really. no great result. i shouldve ran it really hot onto tape, just taping it on normal volume didnt seem to do much.

basically, its the stupidest story ever, the damn landlord didnt pay child support and/or taxes, so he got sued by his ex, and the police and the bailiff came and cleaned out his house, so as to sell his shit, and get his ex the money. problem is, i was renting a room in that house, and they took all my shit too, and its not looking like im going to get my shit back neither. its a civil lawsuit and its being handled by an independent company and the police cant help and fucking noone knows anything, so all i own is a suitcase of clothes now. its insane.
im getting a lawyer, and a legal battle is brewing and this is a pretty insane period of my life right now. they fucking took everything i own, for no reason, i cant express the anguish i feel when i think about it. ive been fucking robbed. in a way its liberating not to own anything, but the idea that they took someones collected belongings by default and mistake is whats driving me up the walls. and, of course, im getting bored without my equipment.

o_O WHAT????????????!!!!!!!!
I cannot fucking believe that... That's absolutely unreal!!!
It is not fair in any living world!
I have no words Logik.... :(

On the other hand, I hope u'll get your stuff back soon and also get paid back for the damage and costs of legal action mate!

Un-fucking-believable!

Hey Lost, wouldn't be enough for him to just get the sound straight from the mic or effect output connected to the soundcard, instead of passing thru a mixer?!
I mean, yea, a mixer will add even more color and helps on balancing the levels, but it's not extremely necessary.
I can possibly be wrong, it's just curiosity.

Anyway Tewky, I think you got enough toys to play around and definetely find some juicy sounds out of your little collection.
Do you need anything else? Yes, we will never have enough toys and gears. The more the better.... ;P
But, as Lost pointed out, a decent mixer should be on your desk when talking of mix analog stuff. IMO.

You're spot on, he can certainly route it that way and it is probably better. That way, you can get a clean recording and then process it externally which may take a bit of trial and error to get the "warmth" you're after. That way, you always have a clean source file and can keep processing it (and undoing lol) until you achieve the results you want.

As a side note, many months ago I read an interview with Trent Reznor and one think he use to do is run pieces of his drum kit out from from his computer audio interface into a distortion pedal/guitar amp and then record the hit "live." Of course this is probably easier said then done as Trent Reznor has music production flowing through his veins...but it's a bit of an idea for anyone interested in experimenting.

basically, its the stupidest story ever, the damn landlord didnt pay child support and/or taxes, so he got sued by his ex, and the police and the bailiff came and cleaned out his house, so as to sell his shit, and get his ex the money. problem is, i was renting a room in that house, and they took all my shit too, and its not looking like im going to get my shit back neither. its a civil lawsuit and its being handled by an independent company and the police cant help and fucking noone knows anything, so all i own is a suitcase of clothes now. its insane.
im getting a lawyer, and a legal battle is brewing and this is a pretty insane period of my life right now. they fucking took everything i own, for no reason, i cant express the anguish i feel when i think about it. ive been fucking robbed. in a way its liberating not to own anything, but the idea that they took someones collected belongings by default and mistake is whats driving me up the walls. and, of course, im getting bored without my equipment.

This is fucking unreal man. You really were robbed all because of a third party's failure...I would've had to been committed to an asylum for the protection of those involved.

Back
Top Bottom