How often should i change my stylus?

The Fake McCoy

I have no idea when i should change my stylus.
i use my decks for about 12-16 hours a week.
i dont do any scratching. (i'm still perfecting mixing)
i also keep the tracking weight kind of heavy cos theyre on an old rickety bench and they normally skip all the time.

is there any way of telling if they're worn or do i just change them at regular intervals?

to be honest with you i only ever get new ones when one breaks (which dosent happen to often) they go one by one.
you decide if you want new ones the newer they are the better sounds you will get and the more you pay for new ones the longer they should last.
respect

I've heard you should change them every 6 months if they are used heavily, especially for scratching. This will insure the best sound and tracking but is damn expensive.

I personally change them every year or two and by that point I notice the new ones sound much better.

Yeah you should change them at least every year, or every 6 months if you're using them a lot...

Personally I aint changed mine in about 2.5 years - but they're reeeaaaallly overdue!

not really alot of point changing needles on a regular basis unless u can afford it or ur trying to produce a profesional sound (clubs, radio, etc.)

i've had mine since i got my decks 2 n half years ago, did fuk all mixing for about 15 months of that, but when i have em i get about 15-20 hours a week on them, still fine

It depends on ya needles mate. I used to have Numark groovetools (shit) and the sound quality would really go after 6 months. I now use Ortofons and there nearly 2 years old and have had heavy use. They still sound great. In the instructions it says you should change them every 6 months but I reakon you can get away with it for longer as long as you set them up right.

Back
Top Bottom