How much of a disservice

TeeKay

Ferret Master
Am I doing to myself using a Fender Passport 150 as my monitors? Also having to use Windows sound driver over Asio due to the sound stopping if I left the Ableton window.

I have a Alesis io2 coming in. Even though it uses Asio drivers will it allow for multiple sound sources due to the USB nature? Also is this Fender system passable or should I scramble for the Eris monitors I'm looking at?

Eris monitors are the logical option
i don’t know about them others speakers I’ve never used them in a studio or any speakers like that for production purpose

maybe good to test ya tunes on though?

The main point with monitors is to present you with a flat eq curve and honest representation of your signal. The high fi speakers can have different eq curves and slight resonances/reverbs and whatnot to sweeten the sound. PA systems often sacrifice fidelity to deliver power/loudness instead.
However, none of that matters if you are working on some amateur tunes at home with no intention to distribute. Just make what sounds good to your ears, it doesn't matter yet if there's not enough bass in th track cos your speakers are bass heavy. If you are aiming to mixdown, master and release a track then you'll really want that flat eq and honest sound of monitors, so you can accurately and objectively judge whats in your mix. If you are not releasing tracks professionally then who cares. You can produce on anything with a bit of bass in it, honestly, if you're starting out you could use your budget on lots of other things (like a good controller) before splashing out on monitors. Even accoustic room treatment might be better bang for the buck than cheap monitors. Learn how to write a tune or three while you save up money for something seriously decent. My recommendation, if you think you'll be in this game for a while, is to just make loads of tracks with what you have, save, and get some kickass speakers for christmas.

Last edited:
Tons of great, easy to digest info as always Innovine. Think next month I'll pick up the Eris', these PA speakers just sound crummy the longer I spend with them.

Back
Top Bottom