How messy is your sequencer?

elmaruk

slannndaaaaaaar
VIP Junglist
As soon as i get going I just forget about everything else and before I know it i have tonnes of audio tracks and midi tracks floating about with no names. The only thing that's named is my drums but that's because of a template i set up.
Anyone else like this?

Last edited:
yer mine gets pretty bad at times, when i get stuck on something though i spend time naming and bussing everything properly, i like to color code the tracks as well

I find that if you colour code your tracks similarly each project. eg. kick blue, percs yellow, bass red etc idk. then you just get used to everything always being the same colour.

I think one of the most important parts of prducing is making sure everything is easy to find in a project, always try and label all my tracks and still manage to loose original files. Was doing a remix the other day and had to reststart from scratch after I only had vocal slices left from the original.

I dont usually name channels unless theres a specific reason to, for eg if i want to bounce something out into another project

hell even my projects dont have proper names, more like 'liquidchilledthingy34' 'neurofukedupshit66' 'dontwtfthisis09'

fuk it, if i wanted to think up fancy names and spend time naming channels, i'd have taken up writing

mine are proper messy
also dont name my projects properly call them shit like jnsefew2011.lol
i can only find the tunes ive been workin on recently by the recent projects bit on reason or goin in the file folder an checkin last modified

i tend to keep all my shit in the one program at a time, so first off il make a bassline and beat in MS PAINT and them bounce them down to wavs before putting them in samplers and manipulating them in photoshop. Keeps things nice and neat

I find if i spend lots of time naming and organizing everything i zone out of the tunes...i guess i could just organize it once it's finished

i tend to keep all my shit in the one program at a time, so first off il make a bassline and beat in MS PAINT and them bounce them down to wavs before putting them in samplers and manipulating them in photoshop. Keeps things nice and neat

Haha. Nice technique, might have to check out ms paint and make some big bass lines. Never thought about using the samplers in photoshop either.

Since switching to studio one - not at all :)
Complicated sometimes, but not messy anymore! Used to be awful, just finished my last track in cubase and I'm a fan of using pure audio for drums rather than a sequencer...hard work, but 100% flexible.

All my projects are labeled and colored to keep the nice overview, much easier to find channels back. Also I use folders to group similar tracks.

im super tidy.
i name everything- including any bounces and colour code both tracks and busses in my mixer

all samples are in a media folder which my daw creates so all my samples are hard linked.
then i back it up weekly. daily if im on one creating lots.

Gotta be tidy, really winds me up not knowing what does what, it doesnt take a minute to name the channels

have always been good about naming channels and such, but used to bounce all my files to the same directory with vague names like "drums1." now i make a folder per project and date it.

I always name my mixer tracks and patterns, mostly also color code drums. However organizing the rest depends on how "busy" I am with the tune. If I'm really on a roll I won't bother but if I get stuck or bored I start organizing - color coding, grouping, even icons. The playlist still usually stays rather messy though and I mostly name the projects rather randomly, sometimes making them a bit hard to find later on lol. "someliquidcrap02"

so and so, my mate billy (splinter, hes got some stuff out on various labels) went bonkers and colored everything so it looked like red green blue gradient tetris, he did that for like a week. then he stopped. i suppose our projects are pretty fking messy, but we do try and name everything. sample names are not messy at least, if its a snare sample its called snare1.wav and not froderick.wav or john the baptist.wav, we outgrew that long ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom