How many songs per mix?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by DEF:STAR, Feb 7, 2014.

1. DEF:STAR

DEF:STAR Member

Sup guys. I'm just getting back into spinning and want to start recording my mixes to promote myself (goal is to play out this year) and I'm not sure what a good, comfortable amount of tracks are to include. I know things vary but my initial guess was to keep things around an hour but i'm wondering what you guys thing/do. I typically only listen to dnb radio shows so I don't have many mixes to analyze so I thought I'd ask.

2. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

It's entirely up to you, don't force yourself to fit this or that amount of tunes in a mix, just do your thing and it should be fine :) Saying that, nowadays it's somehow a standard to have about 30 tunes in an hour mix. Anything less than 20 means you're mixing rather slowly which most of the people don't enjoy very much, anything more than 45 means you're mixing far too quickly which also doesn't really do it for those who like structured mixes.

bn14 likes this.
  3. DEF:STAR

That's very helpful, thanks. Would you suggest trying to get the songs mixed and transitioning before the breakdowns then, to keep things moving steadily? I've never recorded anything and I am going to very soon but sometimes I feel like I'm mixing too fast when I try to get each song in before the middle/breakdown area,but I guess I will need to actually start timing things.

4. Fallen.GeMiNi

I think the best way is to keep it balanced. Many people do not favor hearing just one double drop after another throughout the whole mix, some (like me) prefer blending most of the time to just simply switching. I feel like you also need to give the listener a break every once in a while, not just rolling 60 minutes of drops all the way. It's good to build up some momentum, keep it going for a while and then switch it up a bit by including a breakdown or breaking down the beat pattern with the next tune...at least that's what I'm doing and that's what I like to hear in a mix :)

5. Kruise

Kruise New Member

alright bro, ive just got into mixing, i thought id give it a bash simply becasue i love hearing a sick mix. i dont feel that there should be a limit to how many songs you chuck in to establish whether its a good/bad mix, i think its more about how youve mixed them in and if you get the build up right, if it sounds good go with it but obviously try switching things up a bit

6. Fallen.GeMiNi

Yeah, exactly. The key is always be yourself (unless you can be an unicorn, then always be a unicorn :teeth: ), one of the most important thing not only as a DJ is to have a personality. Do it your way. Listen to others, but don't always blindly follow their advices. Keep it balanced and you're gonna be just fine :)

7. DEF:STAR

Good insight from all. I'll hopefully record a mix here soon and upload it for some feedback.

Is it safe to say that your mixing should be a lot more forgiving (maybe easier) when playing out as opposed to record your mix live?

8. Fallen.GeMiNi

Yeah, I feel the same way although a fair few people actually feel safer when recording as opposed to playing out for a crowd :)

9. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

I agree with the first bit, but I didn't know times had changed in recent years :teeth:

For me, a good gauge is (was) 3 tunes every 10 mins, or 11 in 30 mins..... then 22 / 23 in an hour.

Also depends if you keep the previous tune in when dropping the next tune, or you 'switch' every tune to the next tune in a mix. Hazard gets through 45 / 50 tunes in an hour set as he switches the majority of his tunes, but thats just his style

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  10. Fallen.GeMiNi

Yeah, it really depends on what you're going for tho. Dancefloor orientated mix with 20-25 tunes in an hour might get boring while the deep/liquid/autonomic one would be just fine with the same amount of tunes.

11. johneysvk

johneysvk tnuc