HOW LOUD

garffi3

How loud should a track be? now my tracks are loud ish and I don't wanna make then stupidly loud or any louder then they are like some major artists, does it really matter? whats your opinions people.

How loud should a track be? now my tracks are loud ish and I don't wanna make then stupidly loud or any louder then they are like some major artists, does it really matter? whats your opinions people.

reference a simlar tune, simple

Imo loudnes comes after clean and balanced mix. Your priority should be to have all elements properly mixed.

As loud as possible without it sounding overcompressed, distorted and crap. This will depend a lot on your mixing skills.

Have it so that you can't hear your girlfriend moan at you about the dishes, but quiet enough for you to hear notifications from FarmVille and Tinder.

Make sure the mix is full but has enough space to swing a cat.

You have quite a few releases on beatport, yet you still question loudness? Is it a moral question or just trolling? hahahaha
I know that just because you have some releases doesn't mean you know everything, and half of beatport is balls, but a "loudness question"?

Sorry, i haven't had my coffee yet. there was a video on this that i seen recently. Theres a ton, but it was a good one. very informative. ill stick it here when i find it.

In the meantime:
make that shit so loud that little kids cry and old ladies pray.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a choice to be made with understanding of the side effects and potential fidelity drawbacks when encoding to lossy formats. I always work closely with clients to understand their requirements and discuss needs if there is ambiguity in this area. Some people want it pinned and blistering all the time and others not. Often this is goal related. Very important factor related to mastering and as such something I take care with. If there is ambiguity make a loud version and a 24 bit unlimited version for professional mastering at a later stage. It's a good shout to always have a unlimited 24 bit version of your final track in case it needs a helping hand later on.

cheers

Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering
Short stem mastering video

Just make it as loud as you can without pushing the shit out of it basically lol
As long as it stands up with other tracks out then all good

You have quite a few releases on beatport, yet you still question loudness? Is it a moral question or just trolling? hahahaha
I know that just because you have some releases doesn't mean you know everything, and half of beatport is balls, but a "loudness question"?

Sorry, i haven't had my coffee yet. there was a video on this that i seen recently. Theres a ton, but it was a good one. very informative. ill stick it here when i find it.

In the meantime:
make that shit so loud that little kids cry and old ladies pray.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it

I'm fine with the loudness of my tracks, I was just wondering what you guys think? do a lot of the tracks out atm need to be excessively loud, I know its prob for radio play but I think it ruins some tracks, not all but some mainly jump up stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say quality goes a lot farther than loudness. Go as loud as you can with your track still being clean, and not distorted

Have it so that you can't hear your girlfriend moan at you about the dishes, but quiet enough for you to hear notifications from FarmVille and Tinder.

Make sure the mix is full but has enough space to swing a cat.

THIS.

No okay, seriously. I basically agree that referencing is important, but there is a limit to how much you can push a certain track. It has mainly to do with how clean your mixdown is. Push it as far to the limits as you can hear that the whole tune is sounding overcompressed, muddy or simply like a pile of shit.

I use T-Racks if i want to see my loudness & steroewith visualized. It shows you received loudness and also important the RMS. And again - referencing is important.
Altough it's cool if you see your loudness visualized, but never forget that you can only hear with your ears. Parameters can just help a bit.

well in my opinion as a listener I like liquid drum and bass that has that classical jazz or soul type of vibe to be not to loud...in my opinion they sound better with dynamics...but of course there are some tracks that are totally squashed and still sound great!! but on the other hand the dnb tracks that sounds more eletronic like Sigma - nobody to love or netsky - love is gone...to give you an idea...to my taste they are meant to be squashed the way they are.

Back
Top Bottom