how loud should a typical track be........?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Dubsta, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

When mastering a track....how loud should you aim to get a track so its average volume matches other tracks.......? in terms of db.

2. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

0db peak. My advice would be to stick a professionally mastered track into your DAW and A-B them

3. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

good idea...so could i stick them into cubase for example and then rise or lower the master volumn to match??

4. modern

modern Member

Between -6db and 0db, I'm sure. Put a db meter on your master channel and just go from there.

5. gingerDoe

gingerDoe I've been naughty, I'm banned

sub bass should be atleast -7.5db to -3db at peak.... kick drum,it should be -6db to 0db

look at pro tunes,the sub bass from dillinja in stealth remix peaks at 0db,dj Heist,Jayline and other super loud dnb artists have kick drums that clip over 0db

6. Nydus

Nydus All in the sig.

Really quiet tracks can still peak at 0dB. You need to A/B with an RMS meter, this determines average loudness.

7. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Ermm not for mastering, thats approx for mixdowns, dont confuse the situ :p And even so thats completely wrong, the sub should always peak a couple to 3db above the kick and snare.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  8. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Outside of the studio / production arena, won't this be completely subjective?

9. neddez

neddez Member

this

10. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Indeed, because the audio is no longer confined to the restrictions of the digital realm and/or Nyquist.

And Nydus is correct–it's all about RMS and proper metering; Hence, why I use the invaluable K-Meter.

Cheers.

11. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

All depends on how well you've mixdown the track before the export.

I tend to level everything so its sittin nice at -6db then export and limit to 0db if you've been mixing down each element correctly and at the right levels etc then thats all that really needs doing?
    Plus depending on whether its a personal track or one for a label/remix it will need to go off for mastering and there's nothing a mastering studio likes more than an already pushed tune with no headroom left! So get used to exporting at -6db with no fx on the master ;)

Its cliche to say but use your ears when pushing your track, and know your system and how other tunes sound on it.

lostnthesound likes this.
  12. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Well said!

On a side note, your tunes are absolutely killer!

13. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

So has anyone checked out the rms on a pro tune yet? -7/ -8db rms seems as loud as I can push anything with my shonky mixing so I guess pros can get louder.

14. Sammy Dexcell

Nice one man!! big up!

I got a bad habit of checkin Ram and Noisia tunes when comparing shit an i mean, both these camps have godly powers at mixdowns.Saying that i know for a fact they are not mastering at home and have either sent out to a proper studio or have a sick enough setup to achieve it.

That being said dust up is averaging at -3ish and troglodyte is about the same.

Ive never ever paid attention to this shit until tonight lol just checked a bunch of our tracks and they are averaging at about -3 to -5 so looks like we need to start keeping an eye on that!!
    Thanks op! I learnt something today :teeth:

15. whosblong

whosblong New Member

It's not RAM's loudness that I'm impressed with. It's how they can get so much stereo width and keep things tight.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  16. Krispy

Krispy Member

Do you export the file and then have it as a wav file and put a limiter on that?
    Or can you just put it on the master of the track before you export?
    Does it make a difference?

17. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

I've found that exporting with nothing on the master is the best way to go then start a new project and then do final eq and limits on that. Also makes it a lot easier to make clips of your tracks and then also you can experiment with different limiters and multiband comp with a completely fresh project so no cpu is being used.

The difference that makes compared to doing it in the original project is zero tho imo but i might be wrong.

18. Sammy Dexcell

Yea, were the same, no idea on the difference it makes but we've tried doing it in the original project (were on FL) and for some reason it doesn't sound as good as starting a fresh project with the tune bounced as audio.
    A while back we even went as far as bouncing down a whole track (-the drums) and then making copies of it at different octaves and half octaves, sounded weird but with the tune we were doing it actually worked (was not dnb, and the project got corrupted in the end :( )

19. SafeandSound

SafeandSound Mastering Engineer

This is very mix balance dependent but I usually find that tracks suffer less around the -12 / -8 RMS area. Some tracks go to -7RMS nicely whereas other will break up. Ultimately RMS values can be quite misleading as there are more than one standard of measuring it. In addition the RMS does not take into account the tone/frequency balance of a piece of music. So if you need it to match up best bet is to bring in the ref tracks and see how you tracks stands up when pushed.

Just to add, there is no standard really but I would say not less than around -11RMS for D&B as a genre.

Today about -10 RMS was where a compilation release of liquid D&B tunes faired best.

Of course you can also go as loud as you fancy assuming you can deal with the side effects and it's the ME's job to minimize the detriment whilst pushing for the best fidelity.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
    Audio Mastering

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  20. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

i master all my tracks to -1000 dB to insure for crisp dynamics. it makes them ultra listenable.