How long have you been producing and how far have you progressed?

Ian_x

I been into this music in whatever form since 1990, I DJed for years and messed around with producing a little bit in 96-98 but didnt really do it seriously. So when I stated learning again last year with logic and a laptop I thought I should get into it pretty quickly, but now 18 months or so later I still dont really think I have progressed that much.

I am getting pretty dishearted and thinking that maybe I am just not cut out for it. I really dont seem to be able to get it on a production/sound level. I watch the tutorials/read up on here, listen to how stuff sounds while I am out etc but my tunes still sound pretty weak. Dont really have any mates into dnb anymore so cant play my tunes to them and never get any reactions to anything I send to people.

So just wondering how others are progressing? Maybe I am just being too impatient?

Try harder and you will only get better. I been doing it for a while now and have noticed progression but I am no way near a professional standard of producing yet.

i've been at it for 6-7 years. never really pushed myself. its a hobby. i dont take it too seriously. if a time comes when i think i need to take it more seriously, i'll do that. when i listen back to what i've made over the years you can clearly see a progression. may be in 10 years i'll get it perfect.

thing is, you need to be prepared to put alot of time in. its the same as the decks. you get out what you put in. end of.

yeah im pretty much in OPs situation, producing for 2 years and i really suck, and every few weeks i finally make something that makes me smile and then in the oncoming days i think how did i think that was any good?!

anyway.. i think ive read enough threads and shit to know, practice and experience are key and every pro producer you listen to was in the exact same situation, its normal, and if you want it bad enough, it will come in time.

i just try not to stress over little things like how other people do their thing, again, if you want it, shit will come to you over time with experience in your own unique way.

my 2 cents

Well, I've had all my stuff to produce for about half a year. But I have trouble finding time and motivation to really sit down and spend time producing. I've got ADHD so its not the best thing for being patient with producing. Most tunes I've made have been done in a day, once I start them I tend to find it hard to stop. So I've probs only spent about a week producing really.

3 years i recon, progress? hmm my tunes played on various internet radios, russian "radio record", and now i got messages that sum quality producers wanna play my stuff too, well im certanly not standing on one place for sure.

been at it for 2 and a half years now. but i've only been using fruity for a year and obviously i've noticed a decent progression after i switched to that. i learn more with every tune i make, but i still find the whole thing mind boggling at times and i know that i'll never be shit hot

I've got ADHD so its not the best thing for being patient with producing.

i've got ADD but i find i can concentrate on production for hours at a time. t'was always the same with the decks.

3 years i recon, progress? hmm my tunes played on various internet radios, russian "radio record", and now i got messages that sum quality producers wanna play my stuff too, well im certanly not standing on one place for sure.

how much time do you put in a week?

i've got a mate who produces techno to a recognized standard, on fruity loops i might add, but he has put a serious amount of time into production.

first contact with rebirth and cubase vst 3.1 was in back in 1999 whilst trying to make cheesy acid techno. but never got serious with it really, and djing took over. then i started uni, and during those 4 years i had to pay more attention to instrument recordings and overdubs. its only in the last year or so that ive been making rave tunes again, and whilst i find it hard to get a decent result, its liberating to be able to write music with just a computer and without having to wait on unreliable musicians.
anyway, i digress. yes, i have seen a huge difference in the results i was getting from my first steps to now, although there's still a lot of room for improvement..

how much time do you put in a week?

i've got a mate who produces techno to a recognized standard, on fruity loops i might add, but he has put a serious amount of time into production.

Well we made 5 tunes under Indivision in last 2 weeks, like in a non stop flow. Sometimes i spend nights at it. then take long breaks, like maybe a week or so. Fruity user here too :wave:

Well we made 5 tunes under Indivision in last 2 weeks, like in a non stop flow. Sometimes i spend nights at it. then take long breaks, like maybe a week or so. Fruity user here too :wave:

ur collabs are sounding good, think i got 3 of them?! :D

so thats it in a nutshell. dedications what ya need. i got massive respect for anyone with the guts to go out and try and make it in this business, its fuckin hard work. big up yaself GiDirk. your tunes are tasty.

i've done no more than a loop in the last 2 weeks. i churned out 3 tracks in a month and thats me for a month. i need to sit back and take in more inspiration after using it all up.

I only play my tunes to the tone deaf ? :D

^^^ that and...

I wouldn't say my tracks are that great yet anyway to be honest as there's a high benchmark of talent on here, some of the production on here is just awesome for bedroom producers. I might think I'm getting there and then someone posts something which blows my mind and puts you back to reality. But as long as I improve with each one thats good enough for me. I've been reading CM magazine and try to learn from as much as I can from the masterclass videos etc. It's also good when people criticize tunes constructively too, yeah you need a bit of encouragement but its the advice that helps the most. Also I'm a programmer so maybe some of the terms I can understand a bit quicker as I've dabbled in digital signal processing for a brief time so things like frequency ranges and filters and cut offs are things I've at least heard of before. But then I've had no music training and even chords are a mystery to me so I've a lot to learn there.

Last edited:
yeah im pretty much in OPs situation, producing for 2 years and i really suck, and every few weeks i finally make something that makes me smile and then in the oncoming days i think how did i think that was any good?!

my 2 cents

Thats exactly what I do, get really into it for a few evening, as its just a hobby right now then lose confidence and start something else...

I guess I just need to keep grinding really, thanks for all the replies,
might put a few bits up on soundcloud see if I can get some feedback from peeps on here...

Back
Top Bottom