How long do you use a needle before you replace it?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by MC Motion, Sep 22, 2003.

1. MC Motion

MC Motion Custom Avatarmess

I've only ever changed my needle when I can hear an audible loss of quality or if it starts skipping but a mate of mine changes his every month cos he says it fucks the vinyl up.

Just wondering how regulary any of you lot change your needle?

I might of caned up half of my collection cos I havn't changed them for at least 6 month's!

:shrug:

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Had my needles for ages!

Even borrowed a Stanton 500 off a mate as I'm so poor ;]

Moved to the DJz forum.

3. MC Motion

MC Motion Custom Avatarmess

Yeah wondered where it'd gone!!!!!

I've had mine for age's as well but he said cos there's like a ton of pressure on the vinyl, the blunter it gets the more it cuts at the vinyl.

I was a bit worried but if your risking your collection as well i'm a bit less worried!!

4. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Yeah, they can make your vinyls sound worse.

Some of my old Hardcore vinyls sounded pretty bad!

5. 1992

1992 Novantadue

So how often should needles be changed. I used to change mine every 3-4 months when I was listening to my records regularly but now I don't listen to them so much so I haven't changed them in almost a year. This of course is bad because I'm listening to my records more again and I still haven't changed them.

6. klusta

klusta Pulsar

think it really depends on if your just mixing or scratching shit loads, probably once a year and some needles do wear out alot quicker than others!

couldn't really say how long, last time i got some new ones was caus I broke some

7. hektik

hektik Member

can't give a concrete answer - depending on money, the feeling i got on the fingers when i test the sharpness of the needles, usage of turntables and KIND of usage -
    in connection with doubling up and training doubling-trickz i had to mark that vinyl is very fast destroyed - take a new record, put the needle anywhere on it and make just 50 baby-scratches -then check the audible difference to an unused copy.

in an interview john peel said about a record he liked much that he had bought a couple of copies cause he would play it always and the copies would go kaputt so fast.

the idea of changing the needles monthly feels fantastic - it's just the money that makes me use needles about half a year...

8. evolve

evolve New Member

i have been told, that like everyone else is saying, depending on how rough you are, in general bout 800 hours. of course depending on your needles.
    i think that is insane though, and you'd be spending an awful lot of money if you followed that rule of thumb.

9. SPo0n

SPo0n Lurker alert!

how much do needles cost anyway

10. evolve

evolve New Member

guess it depends on the type of cartridge you buy. noticed that most of them are about 1/2 of what the cartridge costed. say $69.00 replacement needles..$30.00.
    sumptin like that.