DnB How is the scene in your town/city?

thought&process

Noctem Audio
I am asking this merely out of curiosity, being someone who has yet to do an extensive amount of traveling, but intend to (hopefully) in the next year if all goes according to plan. Here in Houston, the drum and bass scene is minuscule and frustrating. I mean sure, we have a well known name like Calibre or Dieselboy come through every few months or so, but it's obviously nothing in comparison to other cities I've seen/heard about through friends and business contacts. For instance, in order to get a gig here, unless you're internationally renown, you have to be a part of a "crew", who each have an extensive process you have to go through in order to be a part of, yet gigs still aren't guaranteed by any means. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against paying dues and all that, that part makes sense. But something doesn't sit right with the fact I have to brand my music in order to get in the door somewhere. Does this exist elsewhere? I feel like if you make good enough tunes (mind you, you can count the drum and bass producers that are from Houston on two hands), and know how to put on a good show, that's all that matters. Not what group of people you decide to roll with. I don't know if my logic makes sense, or if I'm being pretentious. Either way, that's the frustration I have. </rant>

So, how's your city fairing?

Where ever you go, it's about who you know mate. Doesn't matter how sick you are, you gotta network.

London is obviously faring pretty well, but you still gotta make friends to get places. People are obviously gonna want to work with their mates more then some random.

If you don't wanna be affiliated with one of those crews, build something yourself.

I think you need some sort of online presense as well. I have virtually none but luckily I can get a gig or two through people I know. Try and network as much as possible.

New Mexico isnt any better tbh. The scene here for D&B is extremely small. The mainstream EDM stuff is very in your face here. We have a DnB night at a downtown bar once a month, but thats about it. Most people seem to run away at the thought of a song over 150 BPM still. As a DJ, its extremely frustrating to break out here since as you say, its about who you know.

Most promoters dont even give you a second glance when you say that youre a local DJ. Even with mixes to your profile and time spent listening to the music, they wont care unless you have a friend whos a family member of theirs. Even if I can get past all that, the moment I say Drum & Bass, they refuse to even acknowledge me afterwards since its a not a genre thats "danceable".

I used to live in Denver, trying to make my way back there soon. They have a very loyal and large community of dnb fans and the events/nights they have are a junglists dream. Just saw that Icicle was there last night.

Bottom line, its shitty everywhere, especially with the mainstream crowd. Once you find a scene though, just stick to it and youll be fine.

Where ever you go, it's about who you know mate. Doesn't matter how sick you are, you gotta network.

London is obviously faring pretty well, but you still gotta make friends to get places. People are obviously gonna want to work with their mates more then some random.

If you don't wanna be affiliated with one of those crews, build something yourself.

This im aware of, I just feel uncomfortable tacking some crews name to a name I've worked so hard to develop you know? Trust I know a ton of the higher ups down in the city, but I just don't want to have our name objectified in that way if you get what i mean.

Back
Top Bottom