R

rob1

Lol nice easy one here.
I have been working on the basis of:
Sub 0-100Hz
Mid 100-250Hz
Hi 250-upwardsHz
roughly!

What I am a little confused about is what should the upper limit be??? again as a rough estimate of the typical bassline.
Where do you lot tend to roll you bass lines off in the highs?
:confused:

The more lead bass sounds man. I think mine are starting to interfere with pads and melodies etc...

well, that is subjective and dependant on the rest of the tune... permit to whore myself out whilst simultaniously giving you some examples ;)

see this bass goes up into the 1khz region and i dont really roll it off (lfo is doing the passing for me)

but then this tune, the bass doesnt go over 200hz

see what i mean about context? at the end of the day, if it sounds good, then chances are it is ;)

Lol I have just compared that to the three bass layers in my project and the mid and hi bass layers are going up as high as 6KHz. Probably need to cut those down a little bit.
Those tunes are huge as well mate.
Cheers for the help.

Lol I have just compared that to the three bass layers in my project and the mid and hi bass layers are going up as high as 6KHz. Probably need to cut those down a little bit.
Those tunes are huge as well mate.
Cheers for the help.

glad to be off assitance... i wouldnt look at 'cutting off' the top end though... as some bass sounds can sound flat without it! This is often why producers splt their bass frequencies, so they can control the balance in the mix. Listen to another one of my tracks below, this has a wicked bottom end to the bass, but i just cant bring out the crisp sharp top... the bit happening at about 3-11khz (dependant on sound)

I was just watching that Xample and Lomax tutorial and they didnt cut off their high bass layer at all, infact they eq boost the shit out of the high end as they say that using the low pass filter takes away a lot of the high end

but they also dont cut off the high end of their mid bass which is pretty confusing, i thought frequencies werent supposed to clash...:confused:

All the interesting stuff , the life, the personality, happens in the mids and highs don't you think. That boosting the high end works (if you have the right sound to start with I guess)

Yeah as said mate it depends on the tune.

I should go cutting frequencies just because your pads are conflicting. You can use stereo imaging to help solve problems like that, i.e. getting your bass sounds more central and bring your pads out wide. or visa versa, keeping your pads more central and bring the conflicting frequencies out a little wider. that's what i like to do anyways.

Yeah, most of the "dirty" basslines cover almost the whole spectrum, you shouldn't worry about that. Just make it sound good

I was just watching that Xample and Lomax tutorial and they didnt cut off their high bass layer at all, infact they eq boost the shit out of the high end as they say that using the low pass filter takes away a lot of the high end

but they also dont cut off the high end of their mid bass which is pretty confusing, i thought frequencies werent supposed to clash...:confused:

...because you don't want to get rid of the harmonics in the bass and leave just the fundamental frequencies.

Back
Top Bottom