How go get that streched reese sweep sound ?

Nah not really man, I'd say a square wave, with a saw (maybe 2). Lowpass filter with some resonance (the resonance will be what gives it that rising sound with the finished sample). Set the lowpass cutoff to about midway, resonance to maybe just under halfway. Then attach an envelope filter to the lowpass cutoff, with a slow attack, full sustain, and quick release......

This should be the basis of the sound if you've done it correctly.

If you are having troubles let me know and I'll try and do a guide with images and stuff for ya at some point

its sounding pretty cool ! I did it with massive, playing with the attack enveloppe affect the lenght of the sweep.
then where do I go from there ?
a bit of distortion ? maybe add some unison and spread it, or a cheaky phaser ?

I'd avoid phasing it TBH. You want it nice and clean. I'm glad you're using massive, it's my go to synth so it'll be easier for me to explain.

I'd go to the voicing tab and turn the voices up to something crazy like maybe 8? (you may need to turn the volume down slightly within Massive) This will give it a huge, full effect sound. Then maybe on your FX tabs I'd add a tele tube distortion on FX1, but turn the dry/wet down to about 9-10 o'clock. then maybe try a chorus ensemble, or small reverb onto FX2, again turning down the dry/wet a little.

You could also add some very small ring modulation via the modulation oscillator onto one of the oscillators to help give it some dynamics. Also, in the voicing tab there are 3 sliders, turn the bottom one on (cant remember the name of it off the top of my head, pan something or other?), and slide it so it sits just to the left of the mono label in the middle, this will also help fatten the sound.

After that, it's all about how you build your FX chain outside of massive, to make the final mouldings to the sound.

View attachment StrechedReese.rar

There ya go buddy. Try that, It's a start.

From their Id maybe add some reverb. Use a tighter EQ. And yeah, you could resample that and layer it up. To get those kinda sounds, imo it's all about the layers.

peace

Don't forget the pitch bend! You could either set the portamento right and use different midi notes to get it or use an envelope assigned to pitch (my favourite way, more control)

Massive is such a beast ! I still need some time to really master it though,
and there's so many great synths around that I'd like to try and experiment with, Predator, Z3Ta, Sylenth...

thanks for all the advices, I'll probably post a short clip after my next session this evening ;)

yes mate, wasn't too far from what I ended up with Fletch's instructions, I used some of your settings,
like the LFO attached to the envelope, and the white noise which is adding a cool high end to the sound.

I really gotta learn how to resample in Ableton, I can see now why its such a useful technique.

I get stuck when its time to process bass sounds with effects, other than the EQ, I'm really not sure which one to use and how

Easy to resample in ableton solo track you want to resample. Open new audio track in the drop downs for that track are ie just above the fader choose resample then record arm the empty audio trk. Press the top record button. Done and dusted . Hope this make some sense my friend.

Back
Top Bottom