how does the production of jazzy liquid dnb work?

Leutic

I've always wanted to know the secret to all those great tunes youll hear on goodlooking records, influenza media, and jazzsticks to name a few. I make liquid type stuff but never have I been able to make anything with too much of an atmospheric jazzy vibe. You hear all those strings, brass and jazz orchestra sounds in these and theyre very catchy. So my question is to achieve this kind of sound, does it require one to sample these, or are their certain plugins that can help with this? Thanks

yeah just get the Bukem endorsed 'Jazz-Liquid' plugin. should be able to bash out an album of GLR type tunes in an afternoon...

seriously though, that's like asking "why are good tunes good?". if there was a formula to making great tracks that could be written down on paper then everyone would always make great tracks. just keep practicing and working out what you like, and what you think sounds good. no one can tell you.

Step one
Get some jazz records.
Step two
Record samples from said jazz records like hits, melodies, and drums.
Step Three
Use the creative process to create your own sound to make original music.
Step four
???????
Step five
Profit

Sampling is the key for your piano/strings.... as mentioned. not everyone can afford records... the internet is FULL of jazz instrumentals. it's just finding them! a site called http://www.whosampled.com have a look here... search for some of your favourite "jazzy" drum and bass tracks... find the sample source.. then try and find similar artists! hope this is more helpful than the previous comments! ESPECIALLY THE FIRST ONE!

^ to be fair he didnt actually post this in the production forum.

what I said is true anyway, in a broader sense.

Last edited:
what iv said. sample jazz, stick an old breakbeat underneath, use GLR tunes as reference and voila, win.

- - - Updated - - -

tbh, these tunes arent hard to produce, theyre hard to get memorable (and i dont like half of the sampled liquid jazzy tunes because of that reason, theyre just interchangeable).

i wasn't aware of that.

in a broader sense yes, it is true however it wasn't the answer to any of his his question.

check the double agent EP on easternpromiseaudio.com
we combine spy jazz from the 70s with darkstep drum and bass. tommys mom plays the double bass. we play all the other instruments ourself.
basically, get a jazz tune and recreate it from scratch. then resample yourself.
not joking, its how we do jazzy dnb. course you could do it much much easier just use a sampled this or that for everything, and not be so conceptual.
its really what you want it to be, thats all it is. in our case, you have 3 purists trying to do something strickly conceptual, then you might very well end up with an answer like this, if youre a lone activist, you can use ez rollers packs and mo wax samples what do i know, maybe itll turn out good

A good way to find jazz songs that you might want to sample is to get a couple of cd's from your local library and listen to them when your doing something else like cooking or having bath. I have noticed when doing this that jazz is often quite spaced out and that sometimes you can layer different parts of the same song together and they are normally in the same key so you don't have to fuck around with the pitch. eg. piano from an earlier part of a song with bass, sax from a later part. Also jazz has lots onice little turn arounds. So find a little 3 bar rift you like and on the forth bar use an interesting bit to mix it up a bit then the next 4 bars find something else, pennygiles, sevin are good at doing this.

its also handy to know what you can sample from jazz, without too much difficulties, what elements can you nick straight out of a tune, and what do you need to be played solo. tip, horn stabs, you can steal that straight out the tune, same with piano or guitar stabs. build ups and breakdowns. i still recommend recreating it on your own. youd be surprised how much of it we found to be based around the same three notes.

Back
Top Bottom