How do you usally start a new project?

SuBKA

What do you do when you feel like making a new track? Do you collect ideas first or do you hop right into your DAW and begin to work.

I personally most of the time start by making a drum beat and messing around with the samples to create something that fits my taste. i start with the intro and move on very slowly for each part after i made the drum beat.

Usually start by going through my sample library and see if I ever made any interesting drums or basslines I want to re-use, or if there are any interesting vocal samples or other things I can work with as a theme if not.
Start with building my own drumbreak (Don't like using hipassed ones, usually sounds muddy and weak.) till I'm satisfied with that, then to make a bass till that sounds great.
And start working on various elements untill I have an 8-16 bar loop that sounds interesting.

Then build on the first 64bars from that, add effects, process the living hell out of it some more, Intro isn't till after that's finished.

(Always use a project template with all my busses etc.. already set up though, saves time : D.)

I start usually by trying to make some cool sounding chord or bass progression of like 2 bars or something. Then I fail at that, get pissed, temporary self-loathing, then I make some cheesy chord progression and end up liking and woner why I got so m ad in te first place? Suddenly drums have happened and Ive hit writers block so I process the drums and make pads from reverbs attached to my leads/bass/whatever. Then subtractive sequence frmo there. Go platinum, jerk off, leave.

I start usually by trying to make some cool sounding chord or bass progression of like 2 bars or something. Then I fail at that, get pissed, temporary self-loathing, then I make some cheesy chord progression and end up liking and woner why I got so m ad in te first place? Suddenly drums have happened and Ive hit writers block so I process the drums and make pads from reverbs attached to my leads/bass/whatever. Then subtractive sequence frmo there. Go platinum, jerk off, leave.

n00b

flstart_zpsb0c217f7.png

Go platinum

Ya, I'm such a joker right?? right?? right?? naw, thug I'm OG gangsta thug for steal man, for steel. But naw I do need to work on a start-up workflow, mid and end-game stuff I'm cool wih; but getting te initial momentum going I'm like a rock in a field and I wanna get to Vegas, ya kno? Ya, me neither lololololol

This is gonna be fun. I know for the one I'm workin' on right now, it's gone from an Arabian-themed thing to a spacy liquid-like thing 'cuz I did some settings w/ a pad, mixed it down, toyed w/ a break and liked it. Now I'm constructing the intro and thinking up the rest of the track as I go along.

Must've made a half dozen or so different sounds btwn the two versions tho that aren't getting used yet. And damn, playing around w/ sample mixing in Audacity (don't hurt me, can't afford better atm) can create some really neat stuff to sit on for a while.

usually start either with a beat or a chord/melody of some kind, depends on my mood, if i start with a beat its coz I'm in a :mad_guy: mood and want to trash some noise out, but if i'm in more a musical mood i tend to just play on my piano, and then wen sumthing clicks the beats n bass start to get formed around them.

occasionally a sample strikes me, and i build a track around that, i might play around with Operator to make a bass sound that works nice with it, before rinising sum drum kits to fill it up

I tend to build all my beats from scratch, occasionally i'll rip bits out of another track, but not often, and usually half way thru a track rather than at the begining, unless i'm remxing

A couple of funk breaks consolidated and sliced to midi. . . .I mess with that till I have a nice head bobbing grove for 8 bars, then add the kick and snare and duplicate all for 16 bars and add some rolls and drops. with everything eq'd and in its place, I move on to bass. a lot of resampling, movement and expeirimenting here. (this is where I can go for hours, or ten minutes) Then I check the sub against the kick and make sure their where they need to be. And thats the beginning.

Lately; by opening old, abandoned projects and messing around with them.
Usually I've had some idea or a neat trick or something that's triggered me into wanting to make a tune, but once I've got that down I kind of lose interest or inspiration and everything I try to do just ends up sounding shit, probably because I jump on new idea too quickly when I'm actually looking to solve a specific problem, like I'll be looking for something to help create an ambiance, stumble across a cool percussion sample and suddenly I've spent an hour putting together different bongo samples into intricate patterns and things and I've completely forgotten where I was going with the original idea.
But when I go back to stuff I've dismissed it makes it easier to kill my darlings, get to the core of my original idea of whatever sound I was messing around with and put it to good use.

Back
Top Bottom