How do you organize your music?

Crysis

wannabe dj
Hi,

I did a little searching for similar threads but came up empty, so.. I guess this is more for digital music than vinyl, but... How do you guys organize your music? By Artist, Track, Release, Label, Subgenre, Classics, Rollers, Bangers, Vocals, Melodies, New/Old??

I'm using Traktor, and I just have all my tunes in one folder labeled DnB.. I just recently ripped the full tracks that are included on Disc 2 of Dieselboy's albums, and all the other Discs that are similar (Shot Down on Safari). I keep folders for those releases but most everything I download online (Beatport/DnB Arena, Juno, Free releases) just goes into a generic "online downloads" folder. It's getting quite full and hectic to search through. I'm buying so much music atm and I think I'm overlooking or forgetting some tracks because the size of the folder is becoming overwhelming.

What have you discovered works well for you?
Do you move tracks to different folders once they've been rinsed to death?
Do you create playlists or folders with tracks that you wanna include in your current mix?

Feedback is much appreciated.

i burn cds, but i guess its similar, i do it by artist, generally i guess your gona have an idea of which song you want to play next, so just having it listed by artists makes it quite clear imo.

Serato:
Two systems -> A crate for each genre & A "record bag" crate that im constantly changing depending on what im playing.

Vinyl:
Genre -> LPs / EPs / 12s -> Split into what i play frequently and then "back of the box tunes" -> Most recent at the front

PC:
Genre -> Artist name

i have absolutely no organisation method at all, i just remember where shit is!

zsdsgdjhgdhk.jpg

59400737.jpg

Like that.

It's a mess atm though.

Cds: Album artist folder (If more then one main album artist then label) >> Album Name >> Disc Number (if applicable) >> Artist - Track Name

Vinyl: Only just recently organised everything into sub genres

I go genre, artist name, album name. Im pretty anal about track names, nothing worse that bloody underscores. Kinda OCD, just like everything to be the same layout..

Back
Top Bottom