How do you mark your vinyl cue points?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Agent Smith, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

I've been messing about the idea of cueing stuff 8 bars before drops so I can mix like I am on 3 decks but when in reality I am on 2.
    I've watched older turntablist videos of Craze and the like and with their records there is particular cue points marked with what looks like tape.

Has anyone done this to their own vinyls? If so can you recommend how to go about this? Is it as simple as getting a bit of masking tape and sticking it on the vinyl and running the needle over it a few times or is there much more to this?

Cueing stuff from 8 bars isn't easy unless the tune has a noticeable break at that point in the tune, (Ulterior Motive - Seven Segments is the only one I can think of)

Anyone?

2. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

I used to use the corner of a peice of paper, with the point aimed towards the beat that you wanted to cue from.
    Its ok, but if you decide to play the tune for before your point its gunna be hassle.

3. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

ive never heard of this before. im not gonna say learn your tunes and shit liek that, cos no matter what people say, queing at 8 bars is not easy at all. my suggestion would be get a third deck!

4. Vacaro

Vacaro Member

sticker dots are what a lot of guys used back in the day. It allowed for a more gradual movement of the needle.

Agent Smith likes this.
  5. rythmatix

rythmatix Well-Known Member

I have been doing this for the last few years and its great - and you can get some that don't leave much of a residue so you can pull them off easy if required. Just get the needle to the spot you want to cue it and push a dot up to the needle gently - after a few times you will get the hang of it

Agent Smith likes this.
  6. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Ive never bothered with stuff like this. Ive never put cue points on my tunes. I dont have a massive vinyl collection though (like 2 flight cases full), so i know all my tunes quite well.

I do on the other hand take full advantage of the cue points in serato.

7. Agent Smith

big ups for the replies...

Easy solution, but I'm a cheap cunt. one day maybe...

Someone else mentioned these sticker dots to me, duly noted, repped for your reply Vacaro.

Sweet, big up for your insight.

I've seen and listened to mixes or people mixing on Serato & Traktor where they are mixing on 2 decks, and have cue points set up to 8 bars. Traktor you can press one key and it drops the cue point to wherever you want, sadly I am not that way inclined, & will probably be sticking to the plastic stuff for the foreseeable future, hence asking about this.

I feel pretty confident cueing tunes from 16 bars before drops, if you listen to my previous mixes, I just would like to add something different into my next mix, and feel this could be something that is achievable.

8. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

I did it once with one chance in a recorded mix. Was a bit shaky but got there. I'd probably only use stickers if there was no telltale sounds

9. Agent Smith

Sweet Dan, good to see it has been attempted! Mortem - Get Closer is the only other one I know of that has a good stab at 8 bars but don't want to wreck one of my Modulations 10" tbh.

Lovin' the Kenny Powers pics haha. So many legendary quotes from the first series of E & D. wicked show.

10. Agent Smith

ok so I have bought some stickers and done this. will post results.