How do you make your pads?

Kopacetic

For the longest time, I have been using samples and pre-made presets to make my pads, like using Kontakt, Nexus, or whatever soundfont. Then I would usually layer them together, and mix them until they sound like one big atmospheric pad. I would usually have my pads to be the lowest volume during the drop, but almost the loudest during the breakdown. I would also have them EQ only in the mid to mid-high frequencies.

I was wondering how do you make your pads? Do you sample them or use pre-made presets like I do, or do you actually make your own? I really want to start making my own pads.

I'm not the most skilled producer in terms of sound design, so I normally use presets, and tweak some parameters to leave it to my taste, accordingly to the tone of the song. I believe that, if presets were not meant to be used, the synths wouldn't come full of them, anyways.

camel audio alchemy. That plugin makes the most amazing ambient sounds ever.
Theres a free version that ships with computer music and the default presets, I could literally sit there for hours wiggling the morph controls making exceptional noises.

get a piano plug in, set up a reverb bus, decent predelay and infinite release. play a chord (or two in quick succession), bounce down reverb only, add more effects.

Try granular synth with a reverb, chorus, auto pan the mid/high high. Its amazing how much you can get out of a granular synth with little effort. Once you have your settings right, save it. then drop and sample in there to see what you get. For pads, vocals work nicely. obviously it adds a natural feel.

Its horrible, i understand a lot, I can do a lot on the fly, but when I try to explain it, I'm an idiot. . . . . . hahaaha granular, just trust me.

Actualy I think Alchemy IS or can be used as a granular synth.

I never used Padshop before, but you get the idea.

If your using Live, this will help too

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a dog. Kick it. Run away. Play the lottery. Lose. Press record. Cry. Intense breath. Take a picture of your cry. Spectral analysis. Vocoder with cry signal. Tube distortion. Auto tune to d min (saddest key). Reverb then soundgoodizer.

Also, Guitar Rig's Iceverb is really awesome for atmospheric pads. You can pretty much take any kind of modulated sound and make it come alive. Filtered noise (Comb, resonated lowpass, whatevs) is a classic. Resampling and raping the midi and effects is pretty handy as well.

Sometimes I just fuck something up, and accidently put on wrong effects on the (wrong) inserts, and bam, there it goes.

Virus TI2 library, Omnisphere and Izotope Iris usually is a good place to start. Both the Virus and Omnisphere have an unreal bank of sounds that you can just load up then alter to 'make them your own'. Iris is literally next level. Buy it.

Often a combination of sampled sounds and synths is the best way. Definitely depends on what type of track/ music you are making.

camel audio alchemy. That plugin makes the most amazing ambient sounds ever.
Theres a free version that ships with computer music and the default presets, I could literally sit there for hours wiggling the morph controls making exceptional noises.
This x1000. I bought alchemy on sale with free cinematic sound bank. its fuked how good the sounds are, and they are infinitely customisable.
Super easy to get big spaces and eerie sounds, which is what im really into atm.

Getting the Player with Taste of Camel is a must.

I'm not the most skilled producer in terms of sound design, so I normally use presets, and tweak some parameters to leave it to my taste, accordingly to the tone of the song. I believe that, if presets were not meant to be used, the synths wouldn't come full of them, anyways.

completely agree
dont be ashamed to use a sound that you like even if it is a preset or from a sample pack etc (whats the point of them if not to be used?)
but make sure you make it your own

but as for pads its completely dependent on the tune
alot of times i use the piano bits froma tune im working on and reverb/delay more fx etc to make a pad that fits with the tune

Alchemy Player, tweak, reverse, filter, verb, automate etc. Don't waste too much time on pads either imo, it's only filler by the most part (subjective tho obviously)

Alchemy Player, tweak, reverse, filter, verb, automate etc. Don't waste too much time on pads either imo, it's only filler by the most part (subjective tho obviously)

^ Spot on (in addition to the previous posts about Alchemy). I enjoyed Alchemy but honestly never really comprehended just how powerful (and intuitive) of a synth (and sampler!) it is. I would advise everyone to check out their tutorials on Alchemy here. Even if you don't own Alchemy, the details they go into with regards to sound design, granular synthesis, etc. can be applied to a lot of synths. Also, the tutorial "VA Synthesis" shows a very clear cut way to begin the creation of a pad.

Cheers.

Find a dog. Kick it. Run away. Play the lottery. Lose. Press record. Cry. Intense breath. Take a picture of your cry. Spectral analysis. Vocoder with cry signal. Tube distortion. Auto tune to d min (saddest key). Reverb then soundgoodizer.

YES hahahahaha

Same here.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

How to make a pad:

Step 1: Detune 3 oscillators
Step 2: Dial in an assload of attack and release
Step 3: Slow LFO on any filter
Step 4: Chorus>Reverb

You have now made a pad.

Back
Top Bottom