how do you keep your levels from varying too much

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
ez all.

I recorded a mix just off the cuff other da just so iv got a mix to listen to of all my favourite liquid tunes.
When you look at the waveform let alone listen the levels are quite bad in places.

I record with audcaity...

should i keep the laptop in view and check where the recording is peaking always keep it about the same dB or is there another way u guys do it?

just for reference here is the mix

id say just practrice practice practise
but looking at your waveform there ive seen much more peak an drop kinda mixes from professional djs
so i wouldnt worry about it too much man

levels in a waveform can be deceptive, your ears are allot more senstive to freqz around 2khz-5khz, so if you have a track with allot going on in that range, it can seem louder than a track with less, even if they peak at the same volume (i'm assuming, not actually researched it, but i've seen waveforms like that allot from recorded mixes and it seems to fit with my experience mixing)

listen and watch the LED meters on your mixer. You shouldn't be hitting the orange (often -10db) and definitely not red. Tweak individual tracks using the channel gains. It can be easier if you have metering for each mixer channel but pfl metering is just as good. It gives you a good idea if you are pushing the levels when in the mix then a bit quiet when individual tracks are playing.

Need a track id on the first one mate?

Also you're a good dj so you'll probably know by now you can use audacity to boost the volume of any tune that's a bit quiet.

Are you using vinyl or digital?

Vinyl are mostly the same level, however they do differ from time to time. It's useful to listen and know your tracks so you can adjust the gains accordingly before queing it up. Make sure you are matching your channel volumes by watching the level indicaters, should just be on the brinck of amber. Note: check this by going to a full treble/mid/bass part of the track with all EQ's at 12 o'clock otherwise it will be too loud on the drop as the beggining typically only have some drum kicks or atmospherics.

If you use MP3's on serato, there is a master gain on the software that you can turn up/down to ensure all of your tracks are at the same level. Serto remebers the levels the same as it remebers your que points.

If you use CDJ's, do the same as if you are using vinyl.

For the overall mix, hit record and go to a full part of a track and get your levels set to just below clipping. If you know how to use your EQ's in the mix, you will be fine. Don't ever have both tracks playing with all EQ's at 12 o'clock, that will fuck your mix up instantly.

Vinyl are mostly the same level, however they do differ from time to time.

If you have old records, 33's or coloured vinyl it affects the cut as well as 7inch and 10 inch. All these are usually quieter. Depends on where it's been mastered and cut and how it's been produced. I generally find tunes by Break to be the loudest for some reason, nearly always need to trim the gain. On the other hand I have some old moving shadow LP's with 2 tunes a side on the vinyl which need a huge boost to bring them up to the right level. I'd say on my mixer most my tunes the gain would be around 10:30 break tunes about 9:30 and those moving shadow tunes right around at 2! Sometimes play some old jazz and soul LPs and they need to be round at 4 or 5 near as far as the gain goes.

Back
Top Bottom