How Do You Guys Organize Your Crates/Tracks?

DEF:STAR

Wondering how other people organize their tracks digitally (aside from the obvious sub-genres)...

When I mix my biggest problem for me is choosing songs that sound similar/go together and part of that is probably because 1) I have way too many tracks and 2) I don't have a good way of sorting them and maybe 3) since I have so many tracks it's harder to know the songs front and back. Sometimes I resort to mixing by key when filtering through Serato but I'm not a fan. I'm a very visual person also so when it comes to music it's really hard for me to remember the names of songs (unless I associate a cover art with it or it has vocals/lyrics) so I always find myself saying 'damn THAT ONE TRACK I HAVE would go perfectly with this' so I'm just trying to see if I can come up with a better way to choosing songs to mix together. I know that ultimately it comes down to knowing your music but any other organizational tips or helpful hints are greatly appreciated.

i mostly make various playlists for potential sets then jump one from to another as i'm mixing. of course i do have playlists for sub genres and different moods as well

Top tip... delete.

You have too much music and probably a load of shit ones just sitting there too.
Know your tunes inside and out, if you don't, then just be one of those "djs" that finds a super great totally awesome rainbow mega shine way to sort them.
Then mix them only in an order that some computer programme told you.

I build folders of tracks in sub genres, then take a bit from each one randomly when mixing.

It's like South Parks joke on how family guy jokes are made.

Back
Top Bottom