How do you guys maintain your workflow?

Attire

Last Winter
VIP Junglist
Okay so I'm finding it pretty difficult to stick with any project until it is pretty much finished.
Usually what happens is I get an idea for a new track, and go to that one and then forget about the old one, or I simply get bored, or its taking ages to develop, even if I'm feeling it.

I know this is a weird thing but yeh. It's an issue I need to overcome.

Okay so I'm finding it pretty difficult to stick with any project until it is pretty much finished.
Usually what happens is I get an idea for a new track, and go to that one and then forget about the old one, or I simply get bored, or its taking ages to develop, even if I'm feeling it.

I know this is a weird thing but yeh. It's an issue I need to overcome.

hahahaha....welcome to production mate....

i think its the same for all of us at some point....on my pc i got more than 100 unfinished idea's, thats not including the ones ive deleted (must be hundreds)

I work backwards if that makes sense...ie...i complete the main section of my track first..once ive done the breaks and beats, main bassline and subs, and any melodie or leads......after this i'l maybe silence parts of the track to use as the intro, then ill design a break by dropping out all the breaks, kicks and snares and see how thta sounds, then i'll maybe add a vocal, and slowly build up to the drop (the main section already made)...then, towards the end drop out bits again.

i find working this way i complete tracks........when i used to start with an intro i'd always hit a brick wall......this may not be how you work but it works for me.

I normally start with bass's instead of drums/breaks when producing. I find this the best way for me as im not that great at synthesis therefore i struggle to make a bass to fit my break. Once i have a nice bass with abit of movement etc then i start adding drums and creating a main section. This is a very general rule of thumb tho! Personal everything i produce atm is soley for learning purposes anyway, so im not too fussed if i finish them or not aslong as it has improved my production in some way im happy.

I plan or organizing all my samples i use and have made soon into neat little folders, hopefully this will increase my workflow. Once i have sorted work out aswell i wouldnt mind getting a nice midi controller aswell :)

I also reclyle alot of stuff from my tunes and tweak it abit,i find it alot easier than building it from stratch. Making plans of the tune layout sometimes helps me aswell.

Anyway thats what i do.

Don't worry about it bro! I am exact same as you :)

I start off with an idea be it a percussion thing or a melody and then just work around that and 9 times out of 10 get sidetracked by another idea. I have lots of files lying around! Think of it as a good thing, when you go back to a project later after you forgot about it you could head off in a great new direction with it! :)

For now I am struggling to make anything so am composing random guitar stuff... again, lots of files lying around! :lol:

I dunno.

Sometimes I can sit there for 8 hours on one tune and not get side tracked. Sometimes I can sit there, go through 3 + tunes, not getting anywhere and spending half hour on each, usually ending up with me annoyed and dis heartened. But then you can't force it out.

I think having a clear head & no worries or time restraints is a big factor for me. I can't get deep into a tune if I know i should be doing something else.

working on different tunes each day can help. I usually work on two tunes simultaneously, alternating each one everyother day. keeps up interest.

I produce when I'm stressed out.. I don't know why but that's basically the only time I feel like I can get anything worthwhile done, my tracks improved a lot the last time I was on tour, now I'm doing a "chillstep" [lul wut] track to spite my brother, it's coming along pretty nicely.

When I'm really into it I usually work on two or three tracks in one go, swapping back and forth usually brings out the best and the worst in a track instead of having your brain just get used to everything that's going on and making it sound good simply because you recognize it. IMO.

I used to go off in all directions, like I'd be looking for any one kind of sound in my synths or samples, a nice hat, a riser, a pad, what have you, and end up finding tons of shit that sounds good and gives me an idea that I just have to check out, and I'd forget about the original vision right away. That doesn't happen so much any more, I'm a little more focused on getting the core elements down and then I usually sing or hum whatever it is I want to make, if it's a melody I plot it down in FL keys or something similarly simple, just to get it down "on paper" before I mess it all up again as I try to fit it into different synth patches or whatnot.

I might sound like a bit of a fag in the process [as I sit alone in my room going "WhooooOOOOOOUOUOUWOUWOUWOUWOUdakkadakkdakkadakkadakkadakkadakkaPISSSSHHHHHhhhhhssss!! .... Unts unts unts unts!!"], but I'm confident in my sexuality and entirely okay with this.

all i seem to do these days is finish tunes that are 2 minutes long its fuking annoying. i have all the elements with an intro and 1st drop and then all of a sudden i get pissed off with the arrangement and move on. i've got about 7 songs like this that just need to be extended and they would be finished tracks , but i never can bring self to happily finish them. Hopefully one day i sort this shit out

re reading this it must look like i'm a retard not being able to turn a 2 minute clip into 5 or 6 minute song lol

What ive been doing recently is one day writing some beats, then another day writing some basslines, another day on a bunch of intro's (all at 175bpm)

then at some point i'll try and mix and match them together to see which combinations work the best

i find this is probably the best way for me as my concentration span is totally fucked (thanks a lot drugs :rinsed: )

Back
Top Bottom