How do you guys keep the pitch wobble going? (And a specific reese question)

Starfighter

Starfighter
Hey guys I'm new here, and I'm trying to get away from the constant use of Harmor when making my basslines. Anyway, I managed to get some really dirty reese basses but as I process them they lose that initial pitch wobble they get from the detuning of one saw (For a simple reese). I've tried more complicated reese's on massive, fm8 and sytrus but they all lose that initial wobble! Any Ideas?

P.S I was also wondering if anyone knew how to get this higher airy reese done by guys like mefjus and misanthrop, on songs like
Sequenz Mefjus Remix @1:09

Phace and Misanthrop- Waveform @1:26

Thanks!

I don't want to use Harmor anymore, I feel like every reese I make using it has a very similar sound (which I don't want). I'd like some tips on the old school way of resampling (i.e record, export, effects, repeat) Thanks!

Are you using unison to detune the voices? You sure there isn't some envelope on the pitch bringing it back down?

Just use two voices/oscillators and detune them against each other by 20 cents or so, should do it.

If you don't want to use Harmor, the probably I advice you to go with Massive. There are a couple of reece presets there, that you can tweak to taste, or learn how they did it and do one of your own.

I get how to make reeses from scratch and all that, I'm talking about the sound AFTER applying effects; THATS when it loses the wobble from the detuning. Any tips on that?

I get how to make reeses from scratch and all that, I'm talking about the sound AFTER applying effects; THATS when it loses the wobble from the detuning. Any tips on that?
maybe try to resample the mainline bass in full via any sampler and mess with the lfo rate and the filter cutoff by drawing both parameters in with automation? this way the effects also roll with the automated lfo and cutoff? i've had some pretty cool bass movement come about by doing this. not sure if this helps at all.

Tried it and it really helped with the movement!
What I just did (and really worked) was frequency splitting it into 3 different channels, boosting the pitch wobble frequencies on the sub (apply no effects), apply minimal effects on the high end, and really distort the mid!

Make sure you filter env is turned off or if its on set the attack to zero. and you sustain and decay are are at 100% on the amp envolope. That will sort your problems. as with them dirty reeses, get some good distortion plugins (free ones wil work) resample the original reese layer it a few times with diff effects on each channel, splitting the freq bands for each channel so each effect has its own space without becoming muddy. Put deley on the higher end n reverb n distortion on the mids n keep the low end mono. pan them all diffrently to get a natural wide sound. oh and detune each slightly but you already know as you mentioned in previous post.

Back
Top Bottom