How do you guys do your intro pads?

Discussion in 'Production' started by anb, Jul 27, 2015.

1. anb

anb New Member

I am in the process of doing a track and I have done the first 16 bars of the main drop. I need to start working on the drop and obviously the intro but am stuck on how to create those fat intro pads you hear in a lot of professional tunes these days.

For example, listen to the start of sub zer & majistrate - under pressure. - Are these sounds one long note that has been created on massive? could I recreate one by literally making the note x bars long and trying to engineer the sound that way? I find it hard to understand these things.

I use massive on FL 12. If anyone can direct me in the right direction or give me some of their own advice I would make good use of it!

Thanks

2. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

samplers mate, they are your friend, use them for pads and ting.
    I'd recommend Kontakt for a standard sampler, its quite epic in scope but the raw sounds that come with are incredible. For a granular sampler try out alchemy, theyve gone bust now but you can still get hold of the computer music version for some fun. The Mangle is also a good one I've been using, you can literally turn a snare into a sweeping pad. It's also a lot cheaper than kontakt and easier to understand.
    then youve got paul stretch, google it. Its a freeware program that can stretch audio like nothing else. Try putting in 1 seconds worth of shitty noise stuff and stretch it as far as you dare! Insta-pad :)

3. blend107

blend107 Active Member

Audacity has got a PaulStretch function and I find this helpful for this sort of thing.

DYSRUPT likes this.
  4. DYSRUPT

DYSRUPT Active Member

yes! I just started using Paulstretch recently and it's amazing. if you make a plucky synth, reverse reverb it and run it through paulstretch, you'll get a nice pad harmony.

5. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Randomize function inside massive. I always use it.

6. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Bit uninspired though ennit?

7. Dark Lizardro

Quite the contrary: using the randomize function can give you a inspirational boost to work on a new track. Since my focus is ambient stuff, most of them come out with just randomized sounds generated this way.

In other words: I suck hard at synthesizing things. too many buttons, I tend to get lost. So the best approach for me is to let the machine do the stuff, and I only fine tune the sounds to what I need.

8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

mmmmm think up a nice progression on the guitar, translate it into midi. that could work, you know. i mean shit, why not. if you think about it, mmmm orrrr mmmmmmmmm... yeah. could do, really.

Dark Lizardro likes this.
  9. Dark Lizardro

This works pretty fine, yeah. you also have guarantees that everything evolve following the bars and tempo of the music.

10. Saftstein

Saftstein Active Member

Paul's stretch and alchemy in combination is my favorite. Alchemy delivers the fat pads and then layer them with the stretched stuff, can create magical atmospheres :)

Dark Lizardro and DYSRUPT like this.