How do you go about naming a track?

MisterApe

8bit junkie
VIP Junglist
So this is something I'm always curious about, how people figure out a name, do you base it on a sample and such or what's your idea for it?
I have a tendency to go by themes, right now I'm in a math phase that goes along with a focus on neurofunk, seems to work!

But I'm very curious how other people go about this :D.

Once a month I'll watch a few episodes of Through the Wormhole; write down whatever awesome sci-fi words and phrases stick the longest lol. Pick one at random and bam, there's your name.

If I hear, say, or read a phrase that peaks my interest I make a note and as I write tracks I'll pick one that matches the tone. Failing any good ideas, I think of a suitable word and check wikipedia or the thesaurus to find something a bit more unique. Yesterday my gf left a magazine open two an article that read "Two-Part Harmony" and I happen to be working on something with two dissonant harmonies... so title pilfered. ;)

Well.. for my last track I had a one word sample that repeated trough the track and that made the choice kind of obvious. But when it isnt that obvious then I just try to pick some cool words that fits the mood of the tune.

And to be honest... Naming your tracks is probably the hardest thing when it comes to music production... fact!

Yea, that's a tough one. I used to sit and look around my room and try to come up with something based on what I see in my room, whether it was a cd or a movie or some trinket or something sitting around. Yea, I stopped doing that.

Lately, it's been this: "The Day The World Was Supposed To End" was named that because I finished it on Dec 22th? 2012 (I forget what the day is). "Bed Bitten" was named that because I had been sick with a high fever when I wrote it (salted peanuts tasted like mashed potatoes (seriously) ). "The Fox, St. Isis" was named after my sister's dog, who is also like my dog in a way, because I helped take care of her when she first got her (especially when Isis got sick for a couple of months) and love the crap outta that dog. Even though she is a mid-sized dog she is fucking tough and sticks it out climbing a mountain every week with me (except today, it was fucking HOT and we didn't make it to the top).

Anyway, I think everyone suffers the curse of having to name something you created and not only having the name not suck but, feeling like the name fits. I'm currently going thru this with two songs that are almost done. No ideas...

Last edited:
I've never been sure of this either.. and usually gone with the first thing that pops into my head.

The first track in my signature takes me back to some older, cut down stuff, so i named it "Take You Back"

Second track seems to roll out, so I named it "Rollout"

I guess I'm not very creative with naming tracks.

Usually I think of something significant that happened when I wrote the tune. It usually ends up being the beverage of choice I drank while writing it lol

I just pick up some words that describe the atmosphere of the track or a vocal sample. At the same time I try to make it not sound too stupid and recognizable.

Back
Top Bottom