How do you go about making Noisia style basslines?

Andydextruss

Something
Like stuff in Monster, or in the tunes from Corrupt Souls MSXEP? Kinda growling neuro basslines, I'm guessing its something to do with filter frequency and distortion or something, but the ways I've tried dont really get close enough.

Also what sort of waveforms (I'm guessing sawtooth) and basic settings (phase, lfos, ADSR etc) would you need?

Kinda like this, Konflict - New World Order

But more like this, Corrupt Souls - Singularity

This is what I'm really aiming for Noisia - Monster

While I'm here what about basslines like this? Black Sun Empire - Dont You

Thanks in advance. (y)

I know that Noisia have their very own synth specifically for basslines which they created in Reaktor.... i was lucky enough to blag a copy of it but then unlucky enough for it not to work in my copy of Reaktor (wonder why :rinsed: )... from what i saw of the screen shots it didnt look anything amazingly special though...

I think the most important thing with basslines like this is to get the filter automation going. Get hold of a midi controller and just fiddle with the cut-off knob as if it was the nipple of a japanese school girl :teeth:

001t.jpg

Affliction said:
I know that Noisia have their very own synth specifically for basslines which they created in Reaktor.... i was lucky enough to blag a copy of it but then unlucky enough for it not to work in my copy of Reaktor (wonder why :rinsed: )... from what i saw of the screen shots it didnt look anything amazingly special though...

I think the most important thing with basslines like this is to get the filter automation going. Get hold of a midi controller and just fiddle with the cut-off knob as if it was the nipple of a japanese school girl :teeth:

001t.jpg

Yeah, but in theory you can create that sound with a combination of other synths, samplers and VSTi's. I have Reaktor and I should prolly try and learn it, or begin to anyway.

Got close enough for now with some layering, Amplitube and resampling (including a reversed copy of each sampled bassline), I will report back with a more indepth method and clips. :cool:

DJ Jade said:
yeah would like to hear this. what did ya use reaktor?

Reason. 4 Subtractors and 1 Malstrom for some sub, rewired into Acid Pro 5. ;)

Gonna spend another week or so trying out some more stuff and perfecting the technique before I post clips.

Fancy giving me that Reaktor ensemble Affliction? :D

If you use Reason than can you post here some sample files as attachments? Would be nice...

I found that layering to many synthesizers make it really hard to get a less then pretty sound, and from what it sounds like, you want dirty. Try this:

1, Setup your synth. Get a sound you like.
2, Write your a drone note
3, There are a few ways to do this next step, but the quickest way is to go to the back of thew synth(I'm using a malstrom) and connect the Filter to the Mod A, B or use a CV splitter and use both. Adjust the amount nope(the black one) to taste, i go about a little less then 1/4 of the way up (If you want more of a filter sound, add a controlled filter, then split the Mod to that AND the filter on the synth using a CV splitter.
4, Envelope's make it hard to control, so make sure it's off, unless you like that kind of sound.
5, This next step is optional, but unless you decide you want to render a sample of that sound threw the nn-xt, and I'm not even going there right now, I suggest you use select the "1 shot" button on the LFO. (Timing get's messed up as the track moves on)
6, Fiddle with the Frequency's and the Modulator sequences.
7, Copy and paste the Masltrom.
8, Repeat steps 2 threw 6 as many times as you like.

When you listen to a noisia track, you hear a note, say an A note, but the filter is moving around it. All were doing is making a couple of synths that play the same note back to back, each with different modulator settings. Also, a little filter automation doesn't hurt. Use a a slight detune to make it sound stereo, or even add effect with the modulator.

I've learned that if you're too concerned on how to make it, most of you're creativity gets lost. Mastering play's a huge part in the sound as well. If it's your first time it could take you a couple hours and it might not come out how you want it. Just keep playing with it over and over until it's second nature..

Hope that helps.

Frank.
myspace.com/frankbenson

standard resampling sort of affair, just noisia are really good at it.

make a dirty noise, put it in your sampler, mangle it, and repeat if necessary.

I found that layering to many synthesizers make it really hard to get a less then pretty sound, and from what it sounds like, you want dirty. Try this:

1, Setup your synth. Get a sound you like.
2, Write your a drone note
3, There are a few ways to do this next step, but the quickest way is to go to the back of thew synth(I'm using a malstrom) and connect the Filter to the Mod A, B or use a CV splitter and use both. Adjust the amount nope(the black one) to taste, i go about a little less.....

Sorry about the typo's and poor grammar. I was drunk. Honestly I can't believe I managed to get that out.

frankie man, you just gotta post a little mp3 or sutting, writing it out takes wayyy too long.

Im a BIG Reason 4 junkie and i consider R4's synths to be some of the most powerful ones out there.

I'll add good reputation to you if you post the patch on combinatorhq.com

frankie man, you just gotta post a little mp3 or sutting, writing it out takes wayyy too long.

Im a BIG Reason 4 junkie and i consider R4's synths to be some of the most powerful ones out there.

I'll add good reputation to you if you post the patch on combinatorhq.com

I was actuallying wondering if I should do that or not. I'll have to recreate the basic idea and figure out how to post it. hold tight.

ok. i shall look forward to it.

This is just a short skit. About 2 hours work to be exact. Keeping in mind that this is pretty much my style with the modulator process I talked about. Any sound, or effect can be applied to the synth to achieve a noisia sound. In this sample, I did my own thing. Trying to mimic an artist like noisa is frustrating, but we can come close and in our efforts we stumble across new style's.

This sample isn't dark. I like deep dark bass lines, but this is the best I can do in 2 hours. I want to keep working on it just to see what it'll turn out like.

This is 3 version's of 1 riff.

http://kiwi6.com/uploads/hotlink?id=l0jx07o2mw

Back
Top Bottom