How do you get old classic breaks to play at the right tempo?

padders

I'm using fl studio. If you wack an old break (lets say funky mule for arguments sake) into the sampler at 174 it still seems to play at the same slower tempo. I tried having the funky mule playing at its normal tempo and then increased the tempo to speed it up whci kinda works, but what if you want to use more than one old break? Also how do know what the orginal tempo of the old break is?

am not sure why just applying the tempo to the desired rate doesnt work, may be your sample?

Ideally you would want the break in the fruity slicer so you can manipulate the hits, the fruity slicer doesnt always seperate the hits the way you want it to be.

So... drag and drop your break into edison, highlight the area of the break that you wanna use, add the markers right at the beginning of every hit. After that you save the break with the markers you just placed (personally i just drag the thing right into the 'sliced beats' section in the browser).

Once thats all done you just find the "updated" break under the sliced beats tab, right click and choose 'open with fruity slicer'. Now you can arrange the break in any way you want, pitch, velocity etc etc.

i do simular to what state said except i load the file straight into slicex.... you can automatically generate the slice markers then edit them in there (its basically the slicer and edison combined)

oh... to work out the tempo of a break....

either use the metronome and match the tempo of the song to the break, dj style

or.... download a bpm counter with a tap function... tap the beats and it will tell you the tempo, i use a freeware proggy called samplecalc.... i dont use it too often but it does come in handy (esp when trying to work out delay times in seconds)

tbh, most of the time you dont need to know the tempo, just slice the break or speed it up/down to suit

Another thing, if your break is exactly (doesnt have to be tho) four bars long.... first you adjust the bpm of the whole track, drag the break into the playlist and streach it to fit in the appropiate manner. You may have to select "none" in the snap menu to fine tune/streach it. Go to your sampler window under 'timestreaching' and select pro transient as it gets the sample back to its original pitch, then mess around with the proccesing and wot not. This technique isnt really advisable tho as it really limites the possibilities of the break arrangement.... to be honest you cant rearange the break using this method. It still works tho because the set break sort of acts as ghost hits while you main drum rhythm is alternating from time to time. Remember to restore your snap setting after youve done your stretching :thumbsup:.

Back
Top Bottom