How do you EQ/mix your main synth?

Find where the bulk of the snare's frequencies are and notch cut them out of the synth sound.
Add reverb, phasers or something to the synth to give it movement and pushing it out giving it a more stereo sound.
You could also sidechain it; this will give some movement as well.

Also, personally, I think the bass is too loud in the mix and the drums/everything else is too quiet.

thanks for the advice, yea i agree the bass is too loud im gna sort that out, not sure how to make my drums louder theyr already compressed, should i just make everything else quieter?

dude, you have your musical elements nailed! good job. as for drums ... just get good samples to start with. give everything space in the spectrum. notch some frequencies that may overlap.like maybe a dip around 220 on the synth so the snare can punch thru. get voxengo span---im sure there is a way that u can send many diff inputs to it so it analyzes the freqs.
get your sounds right first before using compression, reverb etc

i like your tunes and i think if you nailed the drums you could be a big name in the scene.

The top end of the bass is too loud (and too wide IMO). Just turn your drums up/everything else down. you could also try sidechaining your main lead/bass to the kick and/or snare with very quick att and rel so they pop out of the mix a little - have a listen to the track in my sig and you'll hear it acting on the sub, it can be very subtle. (there's also much more obvious sidechaining on the top of the bass to give that pumping effect.)

as for my opinion, i think the drum fill/kick rolls are a little too often and I'm not too keen on the lead/bass noise but the sample and strings are really nice. keep at it.

Try mixing everything at lower volumes. When you mix at lower volumes you can get more into the mix. When you are finished with the track you can then bring the volume up with a maximizer.

thanks thats a really helpful tip, so is the idea to have most things around half or under halfway on the faders, cuz most of my stuff is round about the default level

Your bass I think is int he right range.. but needs more movement.. you can try modulating the volume using an LFO (or vibrato) or double it up (ie use a second oscillator) and slightly detune, creating that phasing/undulating feel... I notice this instantly makes the bass come alive..
regarding synths... I remember having the same problem when I started out. I discovered that synth sounds tend to chew up a LOT of the spectrum, particularly the high end.. so applying a low pass filter to shave off those higher freqs generally helps you get a more natural sound overall. Also, it helps to find what other elements are interfering in the spectrum and use sidechaining. Example, if the track has vocals that can't be heard because the synth is taking up that bit of spectrum, I'll set up sidechaining on the synth channel so it lowers the volume when the vocals come in.

Back
Top Bottom