How do you create atmospheres with synth?

AlienWeapon

This is where i am starting to stumble, I usually create my drop and make a half decent bass groove, put some drums to it etc. Then i come to making the intro i'm usually kinda stumped, at least where creating an atmosphere is concerned and not just making it, but making it fit. The thing about samples is you don't have as much control in making them fit into a track so im thinking of going with a synth. How do you go about creating yours? I use massive and a bit of harmour but when it comes to creating these dark/edgy/morphing atmospheres i don't have a clue, i know what notes to use to create the tone i want, its more just the sounds. Could someone share some knowledge or even some good links on the subject?

To be honest I just tweak presets, its only a filler sound, it's not guna be the main focus so I don't fuss over them personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where i am starting to stumble, I usually create my drop and make a half decent bass groove, put some drums to it etc. Then i come to making the intro i'm usually kinda stumped, at least where creating an atmosphere is concerned and not just making it, but making it fit. The thing about samples is you don't have as much control in making them fit into a track so im thinking of going with a synth. How do you go about creating yours? I use massive and a bit of harmour but when it comes to creating these dark/edgy/morphing atmospheres i don't have a clue, i know what notes to use to create the tone i want, its more just the sounds. Could someone share some knowledge or even some good links on the subject?

The way i work is a lil weird ill try explain though. Basically i recently started as default adding a really wet reverb on one send and a ridiculously long resonant heavy delay on another send. And i will stick noises through them at intervals end of the bars etc. Make sure to automate the volume of the sends to as you dont want shit leaking through over the drop and muddying up the mix.

As far as atmos's get any noise with the tone or key you want and do the same as the above, add shit loads of reverb and delays export the mess you've made and then use filters to shape the rhythm or movement in the track. I will also use more reverbs if i do that. idea is to get stuff really wet so they are almost in the background. I tend to (not anymore as i dont have it on this laptop) use FM8 psyche delay alot on keys and stabs of stuff followed by more reverbing and delaying. It creates a great atmos to those types of elements.

Long attacks on a filter in a synth help too try highpassing to low pass or vice verse to get that sweeping effect.... just a few things I do... (y)

elmaruk (Ayala) made a cool tutorial one time, lets see if the link still works.

[video=dailymotion;xpamg1]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpamg1_making-atmosphere-using-massive-effects-resampling-in-cubase-6_music[/video]

elmaruk (Ayala) made a cool tutorial one time, lets see if the link still works.

[video=dailymotion;xpamg1]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpamg1_making-atmosphere-using-massive-effects-resampling-in-cubase-6_music[/video]

Thanks dude that was pretty sweet

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom