How do you? 5 simple questions for fun

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So I thought it would be interesting for us all to find out how we all work, what we like and dislike about creating music etc etc (and mainly because I'm sat here not feeling very inspirational right now, and bored outta my mind)

So lets keep it simple, just answer these 5 simple questions and we can all compare ourselves (just a bit of harmless fun)

#1 - When starting a new tune, do you have certain steps that you follow each time?

#2 - What point of the music production stage (from the starting of the track, through to the end) do you dislike the most?

#3 - What inspires you to write a track?

#4 - When writing a track do you just go with the flow, or do you have strict ideas in your head about how you want it to sound?

#5 - Why do you create music?

------------------------------------------------------

So to get things started off, I'll answer these questions too.

#1 - I always create a drumloop, without any type of pre-made break or amen or anything, then fit a bassline over it, followed by some form of lead. Then maybe if the drums need filling out, I'll hi pass a break so I'm just using the hats to fill my drums.

#2 - I really dislike starting a new tune, when you first open the DAW and have a blank canvas. Sometimes I find it disheartening. But once I get a drumloop down, it gets easier.

#3 - I dont take inspiration from commercial tracks. I really find this site to be my biggest inspiration, always wanting to better myself and get positive comments. Some of the guys around here have created some amazing stuff, I want to be at that level at some point.

#4 - 95% of the time I simply go with the flow, very rarely do I have a sound and rythm in my head that I need to get out. Just play around until something sounds nice.

#5 - I create music solely as a creative outlet. Since I can remember I've had a very creative nature, as a child always drawing and painting, growing up getting into grafitti and stuff. All the time loving my music, what better way to be creative!

#1 - When starting a new tune, do you have certain steps that you follow each time?

#2 - What point of the music production stage (from the starting of the track, through to the end) do you dislike the most?

#4 - When writing a track do you just go with the flow, or do you have strict ideas in your head about how you want it to sound?

-

1. A break I really like with good top end

2. Arrangement/Mixing

3. Another song usually. Or a substance.

4. both really, I have "tips" I follow and I do know what NOT to do.

5. It's a thrill

So I thought it would be interesting for us all to find out how we all work, what we like and dislike about creating music etc etc (and mainly because I'm sat here not feeling very inspirational right now, and bored outta my mind)

So lets keep it simple, just answer these 5 simple questions and we can all compare ourselves (just a bit of harmless fun)

1. not rly, i normaly start with a beat or maybe a bassline or a sample
2. mixdown
3. life
4. g - g- g- g- go with the flow!
5. luv music
:rolleyes:

#1. I tend to start with a break. Very occasionaly with a bassline. I think the break always tends to define the song so I try and get that right first!

#2. The arrangement and making the second drop. I always hate that part. Copy and pasting is Ghey! So I try and 're-write' the first drop to some extent. Takes a lot of time but generally I'm happier doing that than C&Ping something that I know is a bit of a cop-out!

#3. My mood. Neurofunk if I'm in a darker mood. Jump up if I'm hyper active and Liquid/Jungle if I've been smokin a reefa!

#4. Generally just go with it! Dnb tends to write itself when you've laid the foundations for a track I find.

#5. Cos it's tha sickest fing! :D

#1 I usually star with some chords, in a pad to find some good chords to use.. Sometimes i also start with the drums.

#2 maybe the part just before it drops

#3 Moods, music, weed, atmoshperes

#4 Most times i just go with the flow

#5 Becouse I love music and i like to create, im a pretty creative person too

1: I have a template also, but no audio in there, just tracks, busses, eq's etc. Start trying to make a synth sound/riff. Go from there.
2: Definitely finishing. Had that problem with everything I ever did. Part of my nature. Sucks. I like dreaming up an idea, working on it. Once I've 'broken the back of it' it's boring.
3: Hearing something that I can't do, something that makes me go 'WOW'.
4: Like finding your way in a strange city. Get to a corner, decide left or right.
5: I have two very early memories of desire. One was for woodwork, the other was for music. (funnily enough later in life I built my own guitar) My mum was very musical and her father before her, so perhaps it's a gene thing.

These apply for whatever genre I may be making.

#1 - Layout a some some drums/percussion that can stand on its own. Maybe create some short variations of it. Also I sometimes just sit around and make different sounds, experiment with them and make different versions of them.

#2 - Not sure on this one, there is little parts of each step that I'm not a fan of. I'd say completing a track is the worst though, I've got a whole folder loaded of stuff that's started, this is because I get a new idea and abandon the one I'm working on. :(

#3 - My music is usually just me experimenting or mashing influences together. Trying to create something new, I don't care if other people think it's weird. I just create what I personally would want to hear.

#4 - Really depends on my mood.

#5 - I create music because I like creating something that I can be proud of. It's a fantastic feeling!

I usually find a sample, loop, or instrument i like alot, and think about how it feels.
Then i try to hear a beat and go find a break, i chop the kick out usually, and sometimes the snare, but if its not to over powering ill leave it. Then on to my Kick, Snare, Percussion in that order. Then on to a bassline, and then the part i usually forget, filling out the track, drum edits, etc.

def. mixdown.

sometimes a sample, sometimes a mood. usually though the sample fits the mood.

I sometimes use the same principles but every tune is different, so the workflow/and the final thought of sound in my head is constantly evolving over time with the process.

Because it makes me FEEL. And as an outlet for my own feelings/thoughts/emotions.

good thread

1. Normally have one element of the tune already in my head, be it bass, beats or melody. Once i get that down i build the rest around it

2. Finishing off tracks. I'm rubbish at putting the final touches in cos i always think of something else once i've done it.

3. Anything at all can inspire me to write a track, quite often i'll hear a line in a film and think 'that would make for a sick drop', or something like that. Used to think weed helped me but i found that it tends to make me diverge into a different track, cos i'll make a new riff and distract myself with that!!

4. Usually just go with the flow, sometimes i'll have an idea of how i want something to sound but i find it a lot harder to recreate the sound in my head. Think this will come with practise though, so i'll tend to leave a tune to one side until i can figure out how to make it sound like i want it to.

5. Always loved music, for me production is the next step from djing - also since i packed my decks up it's my only outlet!

#5 - Why do you create music? /QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------------

#1 - We have various drum kits that we have created that we take parts from sometimes. I also like to start by just making a sound sometimes. All it takes it one decent sound to inspire a track imo

#2 - Looking at a blank pallet is fucking horrible. Editing can be a fucker sometimes too but it has to be done

#3 - Anything and everything. I could hear a track from the radio that has one sound that i like the idea of, go home and try to recreate it

#4 - We try to go with the flow most of the time. Sometimes we can over complicate a track though and it might need to be changed. Its weird you wantto write a track how yo want, but then a label could tell you to simplify it before it gets a release

#5 - Im a musician, have been since i was 8 years old so going on to produce music became an obvious route after getting into dance music. I do it for the love, but now im starting to get a few more releases under my belt i kinda want more from it now and we are going to keep try pushing :)

#1-
I mostly start off with making some drums or other percussion.

#2-
Mixing, I'm still learning and this is the hardest part for me.

#3-
Emotions, every day things. Sometimes it just pops into my head, and then I try to make a track out of it. I'm also inspired by some big artists, but I try to do my own thing.

#4-
Both, If i have a lot of inspiration, it just flows. But sometimes I only have a drum or a good synth, and then its harder to proceed with the song.

#5-
It's an emotional and creative outlet. In music and all the other things I do (Web sites,photography,3D,drawing...) I'm just doing my thing. Nobody tells me what to do, or complains about it. And I just love that. Music is in my head all day, and I would go crazy without it.

-Love these questions, very interesting...

Back
Top Bottom