How do u start your tunes?

Dave Dexcell

Dexcell
VIP Junglist
People ask me all the time how i start my tunes and i find this a wierd question as i start mine different all the time. i could be pissin about with a bass noise or i could be faffin about with some drums,

do people actualy have ways they start there tune? i.e drums first etc

personally its either bass or drums.
If i start with pads i end up gettin carried away an makin wierd noises?? Then i just dont get anywhere!
But if i start with bass or drums i generally get the basis of a tune down till i eventually get tired of the riff/tune an start fresh again......real bad habit as u well know!

It's usually the "hook" of the tune. A sampled melody or instrument, maybe a vocal line, a melody from jammin on the keyboard, a synth sound...

I've found that if I start from beats, I'll get nothing else done on the track. I save every one of those beats however, and if I don't want to create drums from scratch on a track that has some idea, I can import one of my premade beats and sort of skip a step and get to the fun (more fun for me at least) part quicker.

i always start fucking around with massive and predator, making the kind of sounds i wanna use in my tune. i usually already have some kind of influence or idea of what i want to achieve, maybe a vocal sample i wanna incorporate or something like that. i never just sit down and make a tune without knowing roughly what i want because i find that tunes like that don't really go anywhere for me.

drums always- tunes just seem to go better for me if i start this way
have tried other ways but always end up as in teh scrap project folder

I tend to play around with stuff that may never get used. But a song starts to become a song when I start arranging (and then it gets given a name). If I don't have enough melody or beats done by the time the arranging is over a tune may get shelfed as I live arranging the most.

I tend to start with the bass, although if I find a great sounding melody/or play a riff that works well with a great sounding synth- then thatwill lead the way.
I always build up 32 bars and try and get everything firing as though it just dropped to really get a feel for the tune at full tilt- then when Im happy with that; I'll reverse engineer the intro/breakdown/outro/16bar and 32bar phrases.

then I arrange it roughly, listen to it til im sick and keep tuning and tweaking.

Last edited:
personally its either bass or drums
This basically....

Making Drum and Bass you would assume it would start with one of them :twisted:

well i make house and other stuff to so the question is still relevant i dont think just because the genre is called drum and bass that you would have to start with drums or bass lol but yeah u would assume so to be fair lol :teeth:

Start with the drums, to have a pretty full freq. spectrum then I pitch them when I get most of the song done.

trust

personally its either bass or drums.
If i start with pads i end up gettin carried away an makin wierd noises?? Then i just dont get anywhere!
But if i start with bass or drums i generally get the basis of a tune down till i eventually get tired of the riff/tune an start fresh again......real bad habit as u well know!

HA HA. I do that shit all the time :rinsed:

Back
Top Bottom