How do u start your tunes?

Dave Dexcell

Dexcell
VIP Junglist
People ask me all the time how i start my tunes and i find this a wierd question as i start mine different all the time. i could be pissin about with a bass noise or i could be faffin about with some drums,

do people actualy have ways they start there tune? i.e drums first etc

Sammy Dexcell

Stop editing my profile Smarty!
VIP Junglist
personally its either bass or drums.
If i start with pads i end up gettin carried away an makin wierd noises?? Then i just dont get anywhere!
But if i start with bass or drums i generally get the basis of a tune down till i eventually get tired of the riff/tune an start fresh again......real bad habit as u well know!

kama

benkama.net
VIP Junglist
It's usually the "hook" of the tune. A sampled melody or instrument, maybe a vocal line, a melody from jammin on the keyboard, a synth sound...

I've found that if I start from beats, I'll get nothing else done on the track. I save every one of those beats however, and if I don't want to create drums from scratch on a track that has some idea, I can import one of my premade beats and sort of skip a step and get to the fun (more fun for me at least) part quicker.

GiDriK

Lost in jungle
i usually always start by layering sum drumhits and snares nstuff, basicly make drums, then i make the main part of the song (ie first drop).

safety

double safety
VIP Junglist
i always start fucking around with massive and predator, making the kind of sounds i wanna use in my tune. i usually already have some kind of influence or idea of what i want to achieve, maybe a vocal sample i wanna incorporate or something like that. i never just sit down and make a tune without knowing roughly what i want because i find that tunes like that don't really go anywhere for me.

vickvega

Mr. Blonde
VIP Junglist
drums always- tunes just seem to go better for me if i start this way
have tried other ways but always end up as in teh scrap project folder

I tend to play around with stuff that may never get used. But a song starts to become a song when I start arranging (and then it gets given a name). If I don't have enough melody or beats done by the time the arranging is over a tune may get shelfed as I live arranging the most.

chromey

a.k.a Impact
VIP Junglist
I tend to start with the bass, although if I find a great sounding melody/or play a riff that works well with a great sounding synth- then thatwill lead the way.
I always build up 32 bars and try and get everything firing as though it just dropped to really get a feel for the tune at full tilt- then when Im happy with that; I'll reverse engineer the intro/breakdown/outro/16bar and 32bar phrases.

then I arrange it roughly, listen to it til im sick and keep tuning and tweaking.

Last edited:

Dave Dexcell

Dexcell
VIP Junglist
personally its either bass or drums
This basically....

Making Drum and Bass you would assume it would start with one of them :twisted:
well i make house and other stuff to so the question is still relevant i dont think just because the genre is called drum and bass that you would have to start with drums or bass lol but yeah u would assume so to be fair lol :teeth:

dafo93

SWITCH FUSION
VIP Junglist
Sometimes a riff will just hit me, and I'll make the drums, bass etc etc fit around the riff. Other times I'll start with some beats, and other times I'll just be messing around with my keyboard, messing around until a riff / bassline hits me.