How do the big producers know people will approve of their new tunes?

parsons19

VIP Junglist
Heys guys,

Here is an interesting question that might get some good responses/discussion :)

When I, or any of you producers on here for that matter, finish off a tune or have a new WIP we have been fiddling with we have the beauty of being able whack it up on Soundcloud, post it on here, share it with mates, etc. and getting some feedback and advice on where to take it or what to do with it. Which is great!

When you are in say Netsky's shoes. Or Skream's. Or Burial's. Or Noisia's. Or Andy C's. (You get the idea now ;) ) How do you know people are going to dig the new tune? You can't exactly put it up on forums for people to tell you where to go next!

They probably do a quick mastering job on their own and then take the track to a gig that night to not only see the crowd response, but how it sounds on a club system.

Cheers.

Last edited:
That is generally why you hear these dubs out months before any word of an official release.

But what about High Contrast's new tune for example? No one is really feeling that. He must've played that tune out before hand!

You say no ones feeling it, but how many people do you know that aren't feeling it? For every one person that doesn't like it, there's probably 10 that do

I'd say if you already have fame and a big label behind you, you can pretty much put out what you want. People will like it cause it's from somebody famous. Your tunes can be amazing and top quality produced but if nobody knows you than that's worth nothing. Not cool, but that's how the world works...

I'd say if you already have fame and a big label behind you, you can pretty much put out what you want. People will like it cause it's from somebody famous. Your tunes can be amazing and top quality produced but if nobody knows you than that's worth nothing. Not cool, but that's how the world works...

I have to respectfully disagree with this.

Unless you own the label (in which case you can put out anything your heart desires) the head of your label will no doubt follow up with some quality control with regards to your track/album prior to its release to the public. The last thing they want is a shit track being released on their label. After all, you are an investment to them (assuming you're a signed artist), so why would they drop money/effort/time promoting a shitty track/album if it's going to reflect poorly on the label itself?

I've read/listened to several interviews in which artists discuss their label boss offering some critique or feedback on the track prior to releasing it in order to make it better–as opposed to simply saying "Great job, now let's put this piece of shit out on Beatport and empty the dance floors stat!"

Cheers.

Fair point Fletch, there must be at least one person out there!

I agree with t0rben and lost here! t0rben is right that once you are a popular artist you do have more freedom and it is easier to get releases! But of course lostnthesound is right too, the tunes still have to be quality or sellable! (Or with most labels anyways)

Okay fair point. That would also answer the initial question then ;)

But still, if you're already an established artist, people just gonna listen to anything you release anyway, so it's much more likely that you get someone who will also like it. Especially if we're talking about acts like High Contrast who are well known outside the DnB scene as well. Of course everybody here hates his new stuff, but people in this forum are not his target group either ;)

edit: same answer, same minute :D

Back
Top Bottom