How do I......

Sammy Dexcell

Stop editing my profile Smarty!
VIP Junglist
.....keep coming back to this forum after large gaps of non interest to find, yet again, the same threads which I've avoided to begin with?!?!

It's like no matter how many times it's been answered (or not) people still want to ask how a bassline in this tune or that tune is done.
I get why (especially when its simple) but maybe we should have one thread or something that we can bundle every 'technical-impersonating-request' into.

I mean the Dirty Bassline Exchange Thread is still going after however many years of starting it....and it started out really well! But then it just spiralled into a 'how do I get this sound' thread....which is not what it was made for.

It's a tough one as we have all been there to begin with, an would've loved the insight/help. But nowadays there are sample packs, tutorials and a wealth of shit on the internet that can make you sound like a carbon copy of your favourite artists! (except Noisia etc... :lol: )

Anyway, here's my failed attempt at trying to keep things positive and less bitchy but something should be done. It kinda makes me look at this section of the forum with a 'not this again' approach!
Don't get me wrong I'm all for helping and explaining etc it's just a lil tedious when its the 500th time you've done it, in the 5000th thread thats been started.

Any ideas??

Feel free to delete this thread once we have brainstormed some ideas.....(or if no-one decides to contribute ;) )

P.s I understand the abundance of stickies that are in this section of the forum, which also adds to the dilemma. Plus I'm not wetting the bed over this issue, it's just something I noticed recently :-/

maybe we should have a sticky "How to make this bass thread"
all threads like that get put into there?

where they will gather dust and cobwebbs. maybe it should be common practise to link the artist in questions facebook page or something? That way they can ask them

I think this was semi-answered in Mr. Fletch's topic

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/157597-What-s-happened-to-this-place

A big chunk, in my opinion, is how Search Engines compile data and a lot of the times stuff like typical how to make a bass questions come up a LOT on forums, meaning they come up a LOT on google. So we'll have a guy join, post his "how do I make a Noisia/Skrillex/Netsky/Spor/Calyx/etc.... bass", maybe stay in the topic for 10 minutes and post again, and once he gets some sort of answer that tells him step by step what to do or a link to a youtube tutorial he'll probably never post on the site again.

And, as I said in the other topic, it doesn't seem like many of the questions (even the non cliche ones) are that great to begin with, or there aren't that many of them. Maybe everyone here at a DnB already knows their shit and has transcended the concept of question and answer.

dont know but if you consider the video tutorials, that show you exactly how to skrillex, how they are all over youtubes and that they didnt exist a few years ago, i think that might have something to do with it. i also think a distorted 808/detuned saw waves is the only thing you need to know about dnbstep basslines.

we shud all move to the bay.

i just thought of a great idea.

new production sub forum only avail to members over 1000 posts or w/e

"advanced production"

Last edited by a moderator:
But super cearlially how do I make that net ski bass where it goes, "We are brum brum brim braaammmm rup rup rip?" He so cool he made music for Disney don't you know? An American company that really supports remixes(as long as they did not do it first.)

Sphinx you are pro, Fuck them and stick around please!!! I have so much I can learn from you! Maybe not today, but it was at least a month ago, and hopefully real soon. Stupid people come and go. But if we stick together we can create real art! And that is why I love it here.

No one likes to share anymore

Lies! I love to share! I never eat pizza alone!!!

maybe we should have a sticky "How to make this bass thread"
all threads like that get put into there?

Not a bad idea, at least we can not answer all the questions in one thread instead of in each thread that gets made?

maybe it should be common practise to link the artist in questions facebook page or something? ..

Im no longer answering any of them from now on its obligatory to link the artist so they can deal with it! Im 100% on this!

See this is what I'm on about! Normally I would troll through some of the latest active threads but the first couple were how to's!?!
If I had seen Fetch's I would not of bothered with this one.... :-/
Sowwie Fetch ;)
You're right though if it's really unbelievably simple I tend to ignore. You recon maybe someone should just take the time to cover some of the most basics of sounds like the terrorist bass some decent sub bass, a liquid wobble, a liquid womp, talks on 808 sampling? I dunno like cover the most easiest of questions which could then lead on to keeping the asking in that thread as upposed to loads of them. Title it ' Basslines from artist you bum...(that includes Netsky/Skrillex)'

Sphinx you are pro, Fuck them and stick around please!!!

Safe man! Hardly pro mate still got a shit tonne to learn/put in to practice! Nice one tho! Don't worry ill always frequent this forum!
There was a time though were i used to be very active all over the forum. It's just really different now. I used to dominate the new talent section but it took its toll after a while! I may get back on it ill have some free time soon.

Im really thinking to do a basic bassline tut to kick start this how to thread. Ill aim it for massive but for the ppl who don't have access ill still make it understandable in any vst/rack/instrument etc... Its something to think about...... but for now, I will be artist link posting!!! :teeth:

Last edited:
I wouldnt waste your time fella. In all honesty, those posts being made are mostly by people that barge in here without looking at any other threads. Unless you can have a flashing neon sign around that particular thread, with the font size at like 16 or something so it takes up the majority of the page....no one is gonna click it!

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way about the place right now....used to be way different back in the day!

Make me a god damn mod and I'll police this area.

Im really thinking to do a basic bassline tut to kick start this how to thread. Ill aim it for massive but for the ppl who don't have access ill still make it understandable in any vst/rack/instrument etc... Its something to think about...... but for now, I will be artist link posting!!! :teeth:

Doooo it man, i want to learn something

Been thinking about this, being relatively new here. I must say I have made great strides in how I think about this whole Music Production thing. I came in thinking I could just post some bollocks tune I made in a couple of hours of having Ableton, and getting feedback haha. IV4 I think was nice enough to post something, but I had to re-evaluate what was happening.

Maybe if people didnt talk down so much to these people when they ask the question, and perhaps give a more friendly response, with the same sentiment that is being expressed now, we might be able to weed out the ones how want to learn for real, and could end up becoming helpful parts of the forum.

Give em a cut and paste job.

Welcome to dnbforum.com, while we appreciate your need for making a specific bass sound from a track, we here like to think more about rounded concepts that can be used to make interesting sounds. We feel it it much more helpful to you as a producer, to be able to create something which you can really call your own. Once you start learning more of these concepts you will then be able to try and recreate sounds using your knowledge. Would welcome you to visit this thread(Link to the Bass Tutorial from Sphinx) and see how to make some basic Bass sounds that all producers of DnB should have in their locker.

If something like that was posted, at least we would get to see if anyone has a change of heart and might become a useful member of the community. Also if SPhinx does that thread, it gives an avenue to suggest to them. If people learn some stuff there, then they might just get the bug a bit more, and come with some real questions.

I appreciate its a pain in the arse to see this stuff, I am probably guilty of it with my gear question I posted, should have done a search to see if anything was on the forum already about that subject. but if we always treat them with so much comtempt, the opportunity to pick up more contributing members disappears, and the place gets quieter and quieter. Like we see there are lots of these threads, so we could be turning away lots of people. Consider someone who is green, want to emulate their favourite artist. If anything they have some interest, I feel it is in our own best interests to at least dig a bit to see if there is a dude that might just be willing to go the right way with a little point in the right direction, instead of abusing the guy.

I am in no way against people who have done this in the past, but it doesnt seem to have any benefit, and the threads keep coming, maybe a different tact might yield some positive results? I dont know, it just seems everyone is being so negative at the moment, lets try and get some good vibes flowing again!

i'd be more concerned the with utter bollox threads in here with fuck all to do with dnb, the production and new track sections are all i look at nowadays......although i do get what your saying about how to make this stuff........i think the google theory is about right, forums always pop up in mt searches on google for dnb related stuff.

You see the thing for me about basslines lately is I've been trying to make just a smooth, flowing, liquid type bassline and I've had the shittest time trying to find out how to make it. When people look for specific sounds they want to achieve, they know that if they google or youtube stuff and be super specific they know theyll end up heading into a brick wall almost instantaneously. But the paradox also is that if they just search up " How to make a drum and bass bassline" chances are (and speaking from experience :P) that you just get all these tuts on how to make 'dirty reese basses' or even wind up at a fricken electro house or dubstep bassline tut. So logically they come here (Assuming most of them have looked around everywhere be it google,youtube,forums etc) asking how to make a particular sound because at least then they can showcase specifc sounds they want to achieve through examples from soundcloud/youtube and they know there are such people in these kinds of forums with knowledge on how to create these specific sounds. THEN unfortunately they get little to no reply's or the replys they do get is be more original blah blah, when you assumed producers had this mutual respect for each other and assumed they would share knowledge because of this. cmonnn?

your assuming that the people on hear actually know how to make said bass lines. when i first came on here i asked a couple of times how to make a specific bline. i then realised the reason i didnt get an answer is cos people on here dont know how to make a bassline that a pro producer has made. what they do know however is the theory behind it. ie. what different building blocks they think may have made the sound. at which point you can try and use these buildng blocks and experiment to try and get the sound.

i also dont have a problem with people being precious about there sound. if someones invested hours and hours into making there own unique sound, why should they tell everyone how they made it? people will tell you how they went about experimenting, i.e. use saw waves with square waves and these effects, but then its up to you to put the leg work in to make it your own. thats what i think anyway!

your assuming that the people on hear actually know how to make said bass lines. when i first came on here i asked a couple of times how to make a specific bline. i then realised the reason i didnt get an answer is cos people on here dont know how to make a bassline that a pro producer has made.
Someone who could tell you how to exactly replicate another artist's sound would definitely need to get out more.
Simple solution to all this, if you know the answer and have the time, answer it. If not ignore. Posting silly negative comments is a bit waste, I'm sure I've done it heaps.
We can all see who's in here for the long haul. There's loads of potential for sharing and collaboration. The WickedSickPhatNasty thing that duggfunnie started is a great idea.
A dnbforum collective could probably solve the middle east and put a monkey on mars.

Back
Top Bottom