How do i "twist up samples" Newbie sorry!

n.minas

Hi guys im fairly new to producing and i have been hearing the term "twist up a sample" everywhere. Now in theory i have a good idea of what this means in general but i have no idea how to go about it and when i attempt to "twist" i might as well just get up and do the dance!

I can make some pretty decent bass sounds that sound really good over a beat but then when i try to manipulate that sound it all goes wrong and sounds S**t:mad:

So.. I was hoping some of you might share some of your techniques in regards to what you do to twist up your sounds and add variety.

I have been trying NI massive out for a while and can smash out a bassline from within the programme but its when i bounce the sound and try to do something with it that things go all wrong. As ive never in my life been around anyone else doing this sort of thing i just cant get my head round what approach to take when trying to "twist up a bounced sample.

I know that things will vary from sound to sound and what your actually looking for from it but i know there must be some common practice sorta methods that you guys can share..

Please?

im guessing you mean resample? which means.. you get your sample, add effects, bounce it to a new track and repeat. Its a tricky technique to get right

i think you mean modulation, usually twisting up a resampled, usually dark heavy bassline involves the use of filters and heavy effects, try a low pass, and automate the cutoff filter up and down, see what its doing, and then try make some warping sounds, just experiment, also im sure there are some tutorials on making basslines n shit like that on youtube

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

also you dont have to resample, or bounce anything if you dont want to, if you can modulate your bassline and it sounds fine to you in a synth, then thats fine, just cause people say something doesnt make it the way to make sick shit.

check the dirty bassline exchange sticky for lots of tutorials on this. also, when you get your vocabulary down, try the search function.

Thx MR Logikz, ill bee sure to check it out agian da nex time i need ta make a dutty bline.

Just kidding man, i know how to search mate and have been doing so non stop for months so forgive my lazyness on this one.

i think you mean modulation, usually twisting up a resampled, usually dark heavy bassline involves the use of filters and heavy effects, try a low pass, and automate the cutoff filter up and down, see what its doing, and then try make some warping sounds, just experiment, also im sure there are some tutorials on making basslines n shit like that on youtube

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

also you dont have to resample, or bounce anything if you dont want to, if you can modulate your bassline and it sounds fine to you in a synth, then thats fine, just cause people say something doesnt make it the way to make sick shit.

Thanks, i think the automation and fx route is where i need to be heading. I think i have read and watch so much lately that everything is becoming a blur. I have been trying to bounce bass patterns in massive and then rebounce with suttle changes but after a while the grove or sound will become to different. I think i have been trying to go to technical on what im doing and it is this thats messing me up as im just starting out any ways. You have made me think that i should just bounce a couple of good patterns and stick to automation and effects to bring the variety im after.

Also im was not just bouncing for the sake of it, it was because i wanted to change the parameters in massive and not have it change the first pattern i made if that makes any sense. But thanks man you alone have made me see the flaws in my approach so big up yourself!!

im guessing you mean resample? which means.. you get your sample, add effects, bounce it to a new track and repeat. Its a tricky technique to get right

If adding effects is all there is to it then it sounds simple enough, although its not what i mean but thats my fault for staying up all night and trying to post :)

no problem, there is a link to a step by step tutorial in that thread, 31 steps i think, on how to make warpy bass, its pretty awesome actually. i only did it once but it opened up my eyes to a whole new world of possibilites

using Audio is great for some FX, for eg you cant reverse a live synth sound or FX (usually, occasionally you can with the right VST)

If you are using Cubase, right click for offline editing with your VST's and cubase FX, AWSOMELY powerful and a hell of allot of fun

In ableton you have to be a little more creative, but chopping and timestreching things, and adding FX is where the fun begins for me.

Usually I will write my sounds 'live' first, then chop things up into audio if I want to do sum surgical FX and tweeking, it has the benifit that you can see what you are doing, rather than relying on your Synth being able to keep time, you may be suprised how many synths dont offer/have full control over their LFO's/Envelopes/etc!

Back
Top Bottom