How do I 'tame' my main bass synth without compromising its definition?

Rogue Cypher

I made a nice main 'lead' (is that what it's called in dnb or is that only in trance :D still new to all the nomenclature) bass in massive. The sound is very 'cutting' but that is an element I wanna keep. I think I could adjust it down a bit but not alot cos that is what gives it the sound I want.

Thing is it's so prominent that the break is drowned out (and everything else actually) when played with other elements. The trouble is, if I just reduce the volume of the bass track then it loses alot of its definition so that is no good. I also just tried using a compressor but to get it down to a decent level that also squashes it too much causing it to lose too much definition again.

So what else can I do to maintain all it's idiosyncrasies while lowering it so that the other sounds in the tune can get a look in?

try an eq.... tame any frequencys that are too dominent with a medium-high q setting

also... some audio will help us help you ;)

just did a mixdown. It doesn't sound so bad now actually although it is still clipping so I don't have any 'room to breath' so to speak. Do I have to be much below the clip range or only just a shave off?

Btw what does the q stand for when you say medium to high q setting mean? Are you referring to quality or was it a typo to say medium to high 'fq/frequency' setting?

Attachments

• break and bass mp3.mp3
    93.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
try an eq.... tame any frequencys that are too dominent with a medium-high q setting

also... some audio will help us help you ;)

That, and turn it down a DB or two... it's too loud. Definitely a lil too bright as well (which is where EQing would come in handy).

g/l

wooo just added in some cheeky rinsing bass after reading another thread here about how to do bass.

I like this forum already!

Now making the breaks I think are gonna be the hard part...

Any tips as to how arrange the track would be welcome (I know it's down to my creativity but some guidelines would be helpful).

Attachments

• rinsing bass and mid bass mp3.mp3
    172.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Havent listened to your clip yet, but remember that you need a balance in all things. If you have a piercing 'bass' synth that fills a lot of the spectrum, you can make that prominent by not emphasizing the beats and everything else so much. Dont make your beats so complex or fat in tone. They will let the bass speak to itself if they are just keeping the groove but sonically in the background. It's not all just processing, equalizing and dynamics.

Also if something is drowning in the mix and you cant boost it without clipping, why not turn everything else down? It will absolutely NOT change the 'sound' and 'feel' of the track, it will just be quieter. You can raise your monitoring level to make up for it.

I've found that you don't need the bass is in your face to be cutting unless you've been listening to the bass at those levels over and over again .. that is my exprience in my short time making (or at least attempting) my own basslines anyway.

Good call on keeping the break simple kama, I think that will be best in this case for this track.

Now I made the second lower bass it isn't so bad that the initial one, which I made the OP about, is less prominent as they can both share the load now.

I been using a spec analyzer to check where everything is sitting and trying to get the sub one as low as I can; the other one fills most of the rest of the spectrum which is also why I think it'd be overkill to add much more.

Anyone got links for articles on how to structure a track tho? I have just been listening to tunes on youtube and 'playing it by ear' (pun intended ;))

A structure is really overrated imo. As long as a dj can play your tunes without considerable hardship its good. -> change things on 16 bar bases, 32, 48, 64, 96 etc.

If you dont have a 4.5 bar intro followed by a breakdown with 124 bpm tempo in 6/8 time for 9.2 bars its playable by a dj.

Btw what does the q stand for when you say medium to high q setting mean? Are you referring to quality or was it a typo to say medium to high 'fq/frequency' setting?

q affects the range of frequencys that will be affect by the band you are adjusting

a low q will affect a broad range of frequencys.... a high q will only affect the frequency your band is set on and those very close to it

dunno if that made any sense to you?

Yup that makes sense. Thanks for the elabouration.

Now you say it I realize I have already used the 'Q filter' in cubase a few times but your explanation helps me understand how to use it better noww :).

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom