how do i set up my mackies?

JungleFever

VIP Junglist
just brought mackie mr8's there fuckin huge i DID NOT expect them to be that big fukkkin hell lol anywayzzz any one know how to set these bad boys up ?

i got 1 cable that goes into the power and none that goes into the mac?????

if anyone has got these or knows how let me know i got new speaker but cant try them out :( :( :( :(

you'll need an interface i would have thought.

what inputs do the speakers have?

not being funny, but you bought some mackies and you dont know what to do with them?

These are active arnt they? Which means you will just need to plug in the audio leads from your interface or PC/Mac output

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

just had a look at the picture..

Yeh you will need some 1/4 jack leads and a little mixer

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

a mixer like this

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

and some jacks like this

Do you even have an external interface?

from the sounds of it not, with such nice speakers you should really look at an external audio interface, m-audio and emu have a nice range or look at the lexicon alpha if youre after a cheaper option

and make sure youve got top quality leads for everything otherwise youll only be wasting that crisp sound quality from the mackies

Last edited:
cheap way to do it.
your MAC should have stereo mini jack output (sound card) - your mackie speaker should have an unbalanced phono input.
get a stereo mini jack to phono cable - boom your in business

edit - only work if these are active speakers.

cheap way to do it.
your MAC should have stereo mini jack output (sound card) - your mackie speaker should have an unbalanced phono input.

Yeah but why the heck would you use Mackies if you are going to connect them to a headphone output on the mac? That is like buying a F1 car to bring the kids to school.

cheap way to do it.

quickest easiest way. if not get an interface and some trs jacks

so your saying if i went straight in to th mac with the headphone out put the quality will suck, but if i go into th small mixer like that guy kindly showed me it will be better quality? anyone know if its a big diference as the mixer will have a small amp but these are ACTIVE speakers

guess they dont like the cheap version.
works for me - going out the output of my sound card to phono inputs on monitors.
peace

strange that you would buy a great pair of monitors without even looking at your soundcard. i'm just spitballing here but I'd imagine that a standard mac soundcard won't support decent sample rates or come with a decent asio which will affect your playback.

there's no reason you can't go direct, just buy 2 XLR to Minijack cables and minijack merger. the problem is things like cables being unbalanced, and when it comes to export, you probably can't get into 96khz etc, which are better for mastering (but let's not start an arguement about that.) again, I dunno what mac sample rates are. it will be functional though, so you'll still be able to use them, just consider an interface for later on. you might have trouble controlling the volume too ;)

Back
Top Bottom