HOW DO I SAMPLE

Discussion in 'Production' started by dubsta2004, Apr 26, 2005.

1. dubsta2004

dubsta2004 New Member

can someone take me through how to sample a dvd or film dialog step by step using reason2.5.

i got some really good ideas and i only just got reason and a mac.

please, please, please.

2. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

Not possible with Reason alone i'm afraid, you're gonna need a wave editor such as Wavelab or Soundforge, or Bias Peak for Mac (check out my thread at the top of the production forum for cheaper alternatives)...

Such a program will have recording facilities to capture what is being fed into the line-in socket of your mac, and then save it for sampling in another program (such as Reason). That part is usually as simple as pressing *start...... stop... save as*

The trickier bit is actually hooking up your sample source to the line-input. not all sources will always have a line level output so you might need an adapter to go along with yor cables. TV's often have headphone sockets and this is ideal... you just need a standard Stereo mini jack cable and that will do (you can buy one of those any any electrical shop). However DVD players usually come with dual RCA output (one red, one white) which wont directly connect with your Mac, in this case you'll need an adapter or a "Y" cable, the chances of your local shop stocking one of those is a little slimmer, so try the internet or mail order.

Finally, most (all?) DVD players also have a digital audio output, which provides much higher sound quality, however a standard Mac wont provide a digital input, so for this you would need to buy a digital audio interface.

Hope that helps

3. dubsta2004

dubsta2004 New Member

where can i get wave form and how much...

4. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter