How do I properly sample something in FL Studio?

teenious

Hey guys,

I haven't been producing for so long, and I'm still learning new things in Fruity Loops everyday, but there is one thing I can't seem to figure out...say I have a sample of a plucked bass, guitar or whatever, and I want to play a melody with it. How can I take that sample and play it in different pitches but without timestretching it? If I select "resample" from the dropdown menu in the sampler, a C5 will be twice as fast as a C4. If I select pro transient I can't play different notes at all...

Can some of you FL pros help me out? :)

have a nice Saturday btw

Thanks for the quick reply kama. I'll go check out the available options.
@AlienWeapon: I'm wondering too. A quick google search suggested the fruity granulizer. I'm playing with it right now. For some samples it works incredibly well. Others sound quite bad when you move more then 2 semitones away from the original pitch...but this plugin can do so many things (not all pitch-shift-related), I'm just about to try out all the stuff. I suggest you give it a try too :)

Ah yes, I'm sorta familiar with fruity granulizer. It's great for mangling sounds, I knew it had some pitch stuff although it didn't really occur to me to try that. But from what people said its not ideal for what u or I want to do. Still next time I'm on the daw il mess with it. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Granulizer yeah, not the best timestretching algorithm but sometimes works. If I need only 2-3 different notes myself, I usually just copypaste the sampler and edit the pitch there, only problem with this is that the sample always plays from the start to the end of the sample, whereas Granulizer triggers it again from the start when a new note is hit.

Now that I wanted to try out some of the suggested plugins, I'm just really starting to wonder how other producers solve this problem...
Resampling the note with Newtone or Edison is possible of course, but quite inconvenient...I want to play a bassline that has 6 or 7 notes currently, but other pices of melody could follow, and then all the resampling will just be annoying. Still, seems like my only option right now. Someone mentioned "smallcircuit"...what is this supposed to be? I couldnt find any plugin with this name...
I'm really wondering, am I the only one who wants to build melodies out of single samples (does it sound so bad?), or why can't I find a plugin to do this real time? Basically all I'm looking for is a better Fruity Granulizer...

Devote had it proper with harmor, but you don't need to worry about using edison really. Just open Harmor, choose the default patch, and drag your sample into harmor. Resynthing is a little different than resampling, and you may get the results you need. 'Seamless' on youtube uses this plugin a lot for resampling in a different manor, but he still gives invaluable advice on there.

Nice one, didn't know this about harmor. nice!

Keep in mind that Harmor is a plugin that is sold separately from Fl Studio. If you don't have the signature edition, probably you have only the demo version of it. This means you can't save any work you have done with it.

Back
Top Bottom