How do i make the Katharsys drums?

dont know what to call that but it sounds like the kind of dnb raiden does, almost techno like techstep. certainly not darkstep, this is darkstep:
darkstep is cinematic, mysterious and moody, not spikey and shit hard. how to make those drums is anyones guess but i guess you could start with the mean beat kit, its got a similar snare

Last edited by a moderator:
(I love Guidance from Katharsys, everytime I can I put it into my DJ mixes)

First of all, that subgenre is called, technoid (which is the one I like to make the most, but i'm actually a lot into darkstep too :) )
These drums "can't" be achieved at a first step, these drums are producers own work. Getting the right samples from different places which sooner or later will make you have your own sound.

What I can really tell you about the drums, to be more concrete, the hi hats. These are heavy distorted and cutted ones.
Also modulated(check Reason's Scream 4, on modulate, parameter 2 turned all the way down) patterns work that way.

PS: check my soundcloud, tunes "This Sound", "Hackers", "Wrath arrows" (can be found on youtube), and "Inferno" are Technoid ones... you may dig these :)

Thank you very much :)

I really love "This sound" and "Wrath Arrows" wicked tunes, you make me a bit jealous there :P

unfortunatly im not into reason, ive tryed it, but its so different compared to FL Studio, wich i am working with for nearly 2 years now. But ill give them hats a try with a distortion and a cut. But the Snare is the most interessting thing in this technoid (btw, thanks for that :)) songs, i never heard soch energetic and loud, aggresive snares, its awesome.

Hate to say it but these are the easiest drums to make!!

You need a good bunch of hard samples to get a snare like that, the hats are combination of tambourines and like said - cutted.

I always find slapping a section of the wanted drums into your DAW always helps to see the arrangement and the once you have a basis go make them your own.

Back
Top Bottom