How do i make a drum loop sound faster? strange question i know

Discussion in 'Production' started by Arfeds, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Arfeds

Arfeds Member

basically i hear some producers who's drum loops sound insanely fast but there only at 174 bpm im having trouble making my drum loops sound faster

example

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

If they are still at 174bpm or whatever, chances are they simply have more kicks and snares rolling in the beat! (possibly)

3. prettyherb

prettyherb O I

Yeah in most OS songs you can hear a fast rolling hat pattern, i think its a mess of long and short sounding hihats rides ect that make it sound faster.

4. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

just using other elements in ur drums fast hats ghost snares other percussion
    could just layer an amen type beat over that usually picks the pace up

5. Arfeds

Arfeds Member

ghost snares havent heard that term before? i swear OS is using some sort of compression on his hats or somin sound so fast its insane

6. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

they are snares lower in velocity than the main snares... for example in a standard beat u got ur kick on 1, snare on 5, kick on 11, snare on 13.. u could have a ghost snare on 8 and 10 or a roll from 7 to 10, u get the idea, they just arent as prominant

7. felun

felun Member

pitch the break a semi or two, it can make a big difference to the feel of the speed of the breaks

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

actually i think the break with the tambs at around 30 seconds or whatever is called "keep hitting" but im not sure where it came from? i downloaded it from the old ganja site years ago.

Any-one know the origin of that break or if i have it wrong the break in that original sin track?

8. kama

kama benkama.net

LOL do you not know the Doppler law? Things that come towards you sound faster. You must move the drums like that.

:uberlaugh:

It's true about the action though. If you have more 'going on' in the drums, it will sound busier.

9. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

Layer shuffling hi hats hat have some delay and reverb on them underneath anything. Basically make it sound like there is something happening on every 16th of the bar.

10. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

standard... more drums = faster (in very simple terms)

11. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

Turn off the quantize/snap to grid, and move the snare hits a little earlier than the beat. This makes a really tight, tense upbeat feel. Moving them later gives a more mellow relaxed groove.

12. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Fill three or four patterns with hats, tambourines or rides on every step, then go to work making patterns in velocity, almost muting a third of the hits.

Stars are full velocity, punctuation is low velocity.

Hats: ..*. ..*. ..*.

Tamb: ..*.*.*. ..*.*.*.

Rides: ..*. ..*. .**. .*..

Read this shit strictly as examples.

Leaving the velocity spikes on different steps means the different percussive elements don't crash if they're used at the same time.
    Play around with the velocity and you'll probably get more energy in your break!

13. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

sometimes all you need to do is layer a single shaker over the snare hits, and maybe one offbeat at the start or finish of the drum phrase to move things along

def, and if you have your Snare on a single channel use the delay setting to achieve the same effect, anything from a few samples to a few ms can really change the precussion feel

14. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

Enveloping drum samples will help - cut them nice and short, especially whatever you're using for 16ths (shakers, hats, tambs etc.) Longer drum samples will sound slower in a break.

Multi band compression will bring your loop together and help it sound punchier once it's nice and quick too...