How do I make a dirtier bassline?

is that bass one channel? has it been lowpassed a bit? Id split it (frequency split)- low pass the sub on one channel, then add distortion and effects to the mids on another channel (bus), then bus that output to a little reverb.

Maybe add another mid layer bus with more movement?

Distortion on the mids and maybe highs is key as felun said.

Try multiple distortions too, with milder settings, filters with extreme resonance, envelope devices, amp simulations, creative vocoding etc.

If you get close to something usable but not quite, try to switch the order of the FX around a bit.

And if you only get a good sound with a few notes (filters or distortions messing up the sound with other notes), you can always resample what you have as wav and continue with a sample.

You can use sends. Send the original signal (pre FX) to another channel. Do a sharp EQ cut on the original channel, get rid of everything above, say, 400Hz. On the new send channel cut everything below 400Hz. Same way you can create a high layer too. Just cut the 1st send from above 1000Hz and the new send again, cut everything below 1000Hz. Now you have 3 layers: the low bass below 400Hz, mids 400-1000Hz and highs above 1000Hz.

In FLStudio there's a plugin called 'Fruity Send' which works like normal send but you can play with the order of the fx so you can choose the send point between the FX, like after a filter but before a distortion so you can control the whole 3 layers with 1 filter... It's all about doing creative routings and playing with the FX.

This tune is much different than the style of dnb I usually listen to or play so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'd say you could overdrive the mids a little more and even turn up that channel a bit. It would also be pretty cool if you automated some of the bass with some filters, light phasing and filtering, etc.

Hmm.....there is no need really to clone the bass.

Ok, so your bass is in pattern 1 for instance, and it's running through channel 1 on your mixer. Now, at the bottom of your mixer there are little arrows and dials. If you click on channel 1, you will see there is a dial underneath the master channel. This tells you that channel 1 is routed directly to the master channel.

Now, if you click the little arrow above it, the dial will disappear, so the channel is not going anywhere. Now, if you then click on the same arrows underneath patterns 2,3 & 4 you will see little dials appear. Turn them up a notch, and now your bass from channel 1 is routed through channels 2,3 & 4.

By doing this, you can now have channel 2 as your low end frequencies, 3 as your mids, and 4 as your high's. So EQ all the mid and high out of channel 2, and mono it. then take out the low frequencies, and extreme high frequencies out of channel 3. And finally, channel 4 you can take out all the low end and most of the mids.

From here, you can add overdrive to the mids, distort etc. Add chorus, reverb etc to the highs blah blah blah......

Now, if you look at channels 2.3 & 4, you will notice they are all seperately being routed to the master channel, so again, click the arrow under the master channel for each of the three channels, so they are no longer going directly to the master channel. Now if you route these three channels, into channel 5, this means you have seperated the bass into your highs, mids and lows, and then bought them back together into one channel, where you can add compression to gel them all back into one bass.

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain as it took me ages to understand how to do this, but now I do know, it's made a whole world of difference to my productions. If there is something you are not clear on, please let me know and I'll try to explain in better detail

Big cheers!

Good plugins for fucking with your bass lines a little: Delta Filter (for nice filters..), Delta Force (for multiband distortion) and Fruity Love Philter (for more knobs and buttons and functions and crap than I'd know how to shake a stick at).

Last edited:
Well I usually use Distroyr for distortion and overdrive (Google it, its free) TAL-Bitcrusher - to bitcrush (obviously) Voxengo Boogex is also a good amp that can give a real good grainy distortion too.

Back
Top Bottom