How do I find out the bpm of tunes I play on my comp?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Rogue Cypher, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Rogue Cypher

Rogue Cypher Member

Is there some kind of lil beatkeeper I can get for my desktop to check the bpm of tunes when I play them?

I see some where you have to 'tap' for the beats to get it to do a read but that is a bit of a nuisance esp. with dnb as it isn't as easy as a 4/4 beat.

I used to DJ and can keep beat but sitll it'd be easier to have one that does it for you :).

Any recs?

2. Scatcat

Scatcat It don't mean shit

no offence, but why do you need this? Just leanr how to beatmatch. Sorry not too helpful but...

3. Rogue Cypher

Rogue Cypher Member

It's not for mixing, I can already beatmatch it's for listening to single tunes I wanna know their bpms to determine how fast/slow certain bpms are.

4. Scatcat

still slightly unclear. There are bordelines:

dnb 170-180(some faster jungly track)

180+ = hardcore (rubbish)

dubstep: 140 (exactly a lot of the time, which is unsurprisng)

House: 120

Breakbeat: 125-135

hiphop dances around but the slower stuff is like 90 - 100 and then it varies.

Also look at half time bpm so like dnb 174 could be 87.

TBH this is all really rough and approximated so I'm ready to get slated.

5. Rogue Cypher

Rogue Cypher Member

Yes I know what speed those genres are generally.

Why do you say it's unsurprising that dubstep is exactly that speed? I know nothing about it as I hate dubstep but I'm interested as to why you said it is unsurprising alot is exactly the same speed...

Anyway my main reason for asking was cos I have been listening to alot of the older dnb from 97 era which is actually my fav. kind overall- cept for very few newskool techy artists such as BSE.

Anyhow since I have stopped taking my stimulants I still like dnb but find it too fast these days without chemical additives when it's ramped up at 180's which I presume is standard nowadays. I noticed with the 97 stuff I've been listening to I can still listen to it without having a panic attack (which it feels like if I am just at home listening to 160+ bpm stuff) yet it's still fast enough to dance to if you wanted.

I'm just thinking that minus chemical additives 150 up to 160 tops would be a nice middle ground to enjoy the music without leaving out any particular demographic.

I read that the older stuff was around 150 at the time and of course it gradually gets ramped up and up as time goes on.

6. Scatcat

180 is too fast for me too, but yu get the occasional one.

i just think that restricting music to a certain bpm is a bit stupid. Obviously music that's gonna be mixed needs to have similarities to help with the blend, but just sticking to one bpm. Just a physical example of a lack of imagination that makes some modern dance music genres suck balls.

Check the thread on Frictions Future Jungle E.P - the first 2 tracks are at around 150 BPM I believe. IMO the tracks are a bit shit and way too dubstep influenced but I'm definitely gonna be exploring the ideas that he's brought up.

Your right jungle started slow and got faster - but I don't really know too much about this tbh. It's just the natural flow of progression. As in, you can look at the timeline of music and see how it all comes together.

Tempo and chemical abuse aren't proportinal.... i don't think. I.e people still listen to dnb and even breakcore (like 180-190) without em.

7. Rogue Cypher

Rogue Cypher Member

I'm not having that, dude.

I'm gonna have to call you out right there on your attempt at the relativist stance :D.

Exceptions do not make the rule.

Sure at a squat rave there might be one or two people who aren't on drugs also dancing to some 200+ bpm gabber (though unlikely) but NOT THE MAJORITY. The majority would consist of k-holed zombies.

8. Scatcat

haha fair enough. Maybe there's a reason why people who are "rushing" listen to fast music....maybe. :D

9. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

True. Exctasy pushed the tempo of acid house to create hardcore, amphetamines helped the jam, ganja helped slow ska down to create rocksteady and the velvet underground got quite a good sound from doing smack. Their is a close link between what drugs a scene consumes and the tempo and feel of the music.

I quite like the idea of my musical tastes mellowing but it hasnt happened yet...think at some point you're even supposed to start enjoying jazz!

10. Scatcat

Just got about 300 jazz & classical vinyls from my grandad. It's like Jesus' samplebank!@!!!!

11. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Get Virtual DJ, that tells you track bpms.

Well actually with dnb and dubstep, it will tell you the tempo of the bassline usually so just hit the 'x2' button and it will double it, giving you the correct bpm.

12. Junglist_007

Junglist_007 learning difficulties

Go to Chemical Records website search the tune. It normaly comes up with BPM of that tune. If that's any help for you.

13. peanut170

peanut170 Member

14. HyperonDnb

HyperonDnb Member

15. WhoSayReload?

WhoSayReload? Well-Known Member

Just count the beats it's not fucking hard, see how many you've got in a minute and there you go.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  16. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

if youve got the time or patience to do that with every tune you own...

this is why computers were invented, so they can do it for you :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015