how do i eq properly

Krispy

VIP Junglist
I hate to ask this because it has probably been posted before, but maybe someone can provide me a quick explanation

Im trying to determine how to eq the different parts of my track. Mainly the bassline and subbass.

When trying to eq these 2 items do I let the frequencies of the two overlap eachother? Meaning, would I put a lowpass type eq on each? Also, what are the limits of frequencies I should use for these?

My tune sounds good its just that things are sounding too much like they are running into eachothers frequencies.

most of the time, you'll have to get rid of the sounds that are mudding your mix.

I would let things overlap each other as long as these are complementing. Subbass almost never needs any eq, nor effects.

You'll see in the end that if you prepare the samples before using them in the tune, you will not need any eq or compression when tweaking the full tune

every new channel i have , i have 2 filters and an eq on there the filters take away the high highs and the other takes away the lows that may arise and arnt needed. my eq puts emphasis on the channels freqency band so high frequency can be heard clear and clean.
with samples you should also eq and filter out the crap you dont want , use abletons spectral analyser if you need help determing what you dont need , if you dont have ableton , google a free spectrum analyzer vst =D

awesome guys, thanks, i seem to have gotten myself so confused and backwards about this for some reason

Gordo, will check it out, thx

And Indigo, yes I am using Ableton and i've been trying to use that spectrum analyzer
Just getting confused about when and how frequencies should overlap.....

I need to do some reading or something lol

If sounds are in the same freq, you don't necessarily have to eq. Panning or reverb can be applied to place them in different areas of the mix so they are easier to differentiate.

i dont think he has you know, and it would be awesome if he actually finished it sometime. keeps teasing us at doa every now and again with it, but never delivers! :D
check there for another tutorial called "compression 101" or similar. its defo not as long or in depth as the eq one, but it gives a very good understanding of how compression works and what each parameter does.

most of the time, you'll have to get rid of the sounds that are mudding your mix.

this is the idea... so you might want to notch out a little bit where the kick and the sub might clash (using a spectral analyser you can see where your kick peaks)

Subbass almost never needs any eq, nor effects.

seeing as a lot of sub basses are a singal sine wave, the rarely need eq as they are just on frequency, this is something i learnt recently and it makes my subs more powerful.

ive been following this, using fruity spectroman and eq'ing where appropriate. is the fruity 7 band eq enough? because im finding some stuff peaks at 20-40 hz on a tune, and 7 band dont go down low enough on fruity one. Also when i play my track it crackles in my speakers a bit, is this due to bad eq'ing? how can i rectify this?
Thanks

Crackles are normally associated with clipping, when the channel level is too loud and hits the read. Unless your speakers aren't up to the task?

nah ive got a bangin 2 pairs of speakers, they handle any bass i throw at it, just not this tune ive made, rite cheers mate. So just simply turning samples or channels down in the mixer or where i do piano roll? What you mean by read? when it reaches maximum on the mixer?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom