How do I do this pad shit?!

Discussion in 'Production' started by GoldenGinge, Oct 28, 2012.

1. GoldenGinge

GoldenGinge Member

Guys I need to learn how to get sounds like this. Can anyone reccomend me some synths or sample packs to check out?

just nice pads and sounds like this in general really. WHERE DO I GET THEM?!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Joel Sykes

Joel Sykes New Member

i have no clue but try nexus its a good synth for pads ..i just come for the ass lol

3. GoldenGinge

GoldenGinge Member

Safe. Also donnie dubson style stuff. You know, pads like

4. djSing

djSing Ill-usions

Donnie's pads are indeed sick.. I couldn't tell you exactly how to achieve the sounds but Dave Owen's sounds are usually sampled.. the pad in the tune you posted im guessing is just a sample with an lfo on a low pass filter. < Don't quote me on that tho, he may well have used a synthesizer for the pad. I too would love to know which synths can produce these smooth as fuck sounds though

5. xiu

xiu Member

sounds like some low pass modulated rhodes ?

6. GoldenGinge

GoldenGinge Member

I'm on about the wobbly bit at the start. And just pads in general. But these nice atmosphere and ambient ones. Good for liquid

7. Rajstah Vibe

Rajstah Vibe soundcloud.com/rajstah

Yes, Rhodes modulated.
    If have Reason you can do this in 2 click of mouse plus Midi keyboard by loading NN19 with Rhodes patch or a B4 organ and effect it.
    If not on Reason, look for AAS Lounge Lizard Vsti on google or watch this video: http://youtu.be/r8x5mz7yffY
    It's my favourite plug to pick up when I need a classic sound like this.

8. Southern

Southern Member

You can't miss that distinctive Rhodes sound, usually followed by a saxophone and plenty of reverb/delay going on ;)

9. GoldenGinge

GoldenGinge Member

Thanks for the responses so far guys! Can anyone recommend any sample packs for pads or anything?

10. GoldenGinge

GoldenGinge Member

Also I'm fairly new to this stuff.

When you say modulate. What sort of modulation should I put on a rhodes to get that nice wobbly effect?

11. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

I can't listen to your sample right now, but common modulations for the rhodes would be a phasor, tremelo (volume), or a leslie speaker effect. Check out http://www.fenderrhodes.com/history/effects.php for classic rhodes fx

Southern likes this.
  12. ToxiColora

ToxiColora New Member

You can also achieve this in FL by insterting FL Keys and then a rhodes-then low pass that bitch and add some reverb ;)

13. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I wouldnt rely on sample packs for pads really. You'll be far too limited. Any synth with 3 oscillators is capable of producing these types of sounds, although if I had to choose a couple, I'd go with Rob Papen's Predator, or NI Absynth. Just experiment with different waveforms, have one set +5 semitones, one set at 0 and the 3rd at -7 semitones, this essentially produces a chord. Then play with the ADSR envelopes, with a nice slow attack and release. Add chorus, reverb delay etc etc.

14. GoldenGinge

GoldenGinge Member

Cheers once again guys!

15. jonee

jonee New Member

Nice sharing here and it tuoch the complete thought of first question,;................

16. lbolive

lbolive New Member

Use a synth with just a simple sine wave osc... the key is the attack and release envelopes.. all should be set to fairly high values, say 2-3 seconds
    Next up, run it through chorus.. about 40% wet followed by reverb.. you want this to be fairly wet too about 60% with a long decay.
    You can add modulation in terms of having notch filters (within the synth itself or in the FX chain) tied to a slow LFO... or you can try more complex wave forms in the OSC.. this should get you started though.

17. lbolive

lbolive New Member

The key to a good sounding pad is not so much the sound of an individual note. but mainly the chords.. try some complex chords spanning 2-3 octaves, adding sevenths, ninths, 13ths etc

18. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

I have found CamelAudio Alchemy (as well as Absynth) to be great sources of inspiration for creating nice, evolving pads.

Ditto what everyone stated about Pad samples...while they may prove to be useful for a quick fix, they're extremely limiting.