How dnbforum.com can make money to support itself

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
Right, I would really like to get dnbforum running on the vBulletin forum software, this costs $85 per year. Now I am not asking for donations, I am after your thoughts on how we could make money to pay this fee.

I am having some problems with the current software (PHPBB2), these problems would be resolved if I could perform the upgrade to vBulletin. I have great experience with the vBulletin software.

If we cant do this, I am going to have to create a secret dnbforum (PHPBB2) to work on, when it is ready, replace this one with the new improved one. This would mean the current forum would stay as it is until the new one is ready.

Your thoughts, suggestions, comments, and ideas are all appreciated.

Serious users only need reply

you could sell shirts at cafepress.com or something ... to try and make some loot.

running/maintaining a server/bbs can be time consuming and cost a lot of money
but if you get enough support and have a good place to visit then you can find
out a way...

ask anyone out there if they have a hookup with a hosting company ... cheaper webspace
or possibly free.

why dont you use a snitz forum its free and its got all the addons that ones got,

http://user.domaindlx.com/tenbellys/default.asp :D

for a working example

http://forum.snitz.com :D

Stu,

So-called "free" BBS systems are always shite, "doing a DNBArena" is gonna be freakin expensive to get going, and is also jumping on the bandwagon...

The only viable way of supporting the forum at this juncture would be the traditional sponsorship gig, I know the situation with your b/w an that, so pimp yer ass out bwoy ;P

Laters,

Will

What kind of problems have you had? I haven't experienced any yet - but then the choons.net forum isn't modded up. phpBB does do templates that look like vBulletin - can I ask why it is you want to change it over?

choons.net said:
What kind of problems have you had? I haven't experienced any yet - but then the choons.net forum isn't modded up. phpBB does do templates that look like vBulletin - can I ask why it is you want to change it over?

Yup, I know you can mod out PHPBB2 to look like vBulletin, but that is not the problem :)

Basically, PHPBB2 takes a lot of work to get it functioning like vBulletin, it is too time consuming. The vBulletin peeps are releasing version 3 of vBulletin soon, they will easily take the lead again leaving the other forum coders to catch up (again).

Saying that, for a free alternative to vBulletin, PHPBB2 is outstanding, they have done a superb job.

After looking at the forum - and the amount of different sections on it - I'd have thought you'd be using something like PostNuke - purely because there's so much stuff on this forum - it'd probably be easier in a portal system like PostNuke.

Dave

choons.net said:
After looking at the forum - and the amount of different sections on it - I'd have thought you'd be using something like PostNuke - purely because there's so much stuff on this forum - it'd probably be easier in a portal system like PostNuke.

Dave

I have been coding the additional pages myself using the PHPBB2 forum as the back-end, with a few additional tables of my own.

I have looked at PostNuke before, I prefer the way the forum does things :)

Good news, TripleM has decided to go halves with the dnbforum costs, this means the vBulletin switch will take place quite soon, yay :D Big ups to the TripleM.

The site will be moved about the server today, this may cause a few errors here and there, so be warned :)

After that (next few weeks), we will look into the new forum software.

Things are lookin good :slayer: Keep it dnbforum!

Couldn't ya stick with this but have drum nad bass adverts and sell stuff like DNBA, dunno if it's been said already?

:slayer:

Back
Top Bottom