how did you learn to produce?

Dj Dirty Pimp

VIP Junglist
just curious, how did you lot gain the musical knowldge you have now?college, uni, ur self?
we are all still learning. i would be particualrly interested to hear from signed people such as serum and hiest, but doubt they would post here haha.

i have had no real musical education, played a bit of piano in school. Then used youtube, books, this website and others to over the years learn. this forum has probably helped me the most, i used to look on here before i signed up aswell.

Im much the same. Picked up a few techniques from here and youtube. Also some of my friends produce so we all learnt things from each other and by experimentation. I have no musical education except playing the trumpet when i was 12 and i dont consider myself to be musically tallented now i can make a beat. I'd like to learn more music theroy its just a case of finding the time.

Just by playing around with it really. Did a lot of reading on the net to learn stuff but the best way to really learn it is just to play around with things and see what.
My sisters boyfriend is also a producer (he did a 4 year degree) so I bugged him a fair bit too!

I have always loved doing it, I remember when I was a kid I had a little program on my atari st where you could drag notes onto a music sheet and it played different tones

i found a good way of learning music, is getting the chords of an existing song of the web. then finding a website that displays those chords on a piano,and copying them into ur daw. i used to do that a lot to get an understanding of music etc.

i dont think im a good producer at all, but ive come along way.

i found a good way of learning music, is getting the chords of an existing song of the web. then finding a website that displays those chords on a piano,and copying them into ur daw. i used to do that a lot to get an understanding of music etc.

i dont think im a good producer at all, but ive come along way.

Yeah, I sometimes do something similar. I get a midi file of a track that I like the rifts or chords in then load that up into cubase..

Then learn to play it back using the notes on the screen. Sometimes helps with learning what goes with what. Apart from that my music theroy is fairly limited.

Im just starting from scratch and I've always been playing something or doing something from guitar to mixin and also dabbled in a bit of piano etc.
thing about producing im finding really hard is knowing what all the effects do and hhow to beef up drums etc and basslines are hard to create for me atm.
Goin to order a midi keyboard soon i think that might help for melodies n stuff..
I never realised how addictive and frustrating producing is

Im just starting from scratch and I've always been playing something or doing something from guitar to mixin and also dabbled in a bit of piano etc.
thing about producing im finding really hard is knowing what all the effects do and hhow to beef up drums etc and basslines are hard to create for me atm.
Goin to order a midi keyboard soon i think that might help for melodies n stuff..
I never realised how addictive and frustrating producing is

comes in time and practise and mainly messing around mate. for the drums id recommend layers and messing with the EQ.

anyway lets keep it on topic haha.

i taught myself, from scratch. obviously i dont know everything but im pretty happy with what i can achieve.

im self taught. by using forums, esp this one!! , and mainly music production books from the library!!! they have soooooo much detailed info to try get ya head round.
and trial and error of course . as long as each track is better than my last, im a happy chappy, ive been at it for to years now i have 3 track released on a digi label DPR but im not happy with them at all. back to the lab

i learnt by tinkering with programs. one of the most important lessons i picked up was never to be averse to trying out new things, specially hardware. cassette, old junk amps, souvenir flute and bleepy toys its can all come out pretty cool, and its very inspirational

i learnt from music on the ps1 then taught myself mostly oh an my brother helped a bit

university and the internet.
also id like to point a grammatical error in the thread's title:
you dont learn to produce, you are learning to produce.
its an ongoing struggle, and every time you boot up you gear, you learn something new, even if it doesnt feel like.

Went to collage for a tiny bit, had to drop out 'cause of migranes. Most of the stuff I learnt comes from experimentation and the guys in this forum.
BIG UP.

university and the internet.
also id like to point a grammatical error in the thread's title:
you dont learn to produce, you are learning to produce.its an ongoing struggle, and every time you boot up you gear, you learn something new, even if it doesnt feel like.

im asking to people who feel that they have learnt how to produce music, of course ur right, as i said in my 1st post "we are all still learning".

i started playing trumpet when i was 9. My Great granddad taught me to begin with. Later progressed onto piano, guitar and Drums.

Production started for me around 4 years ago now, just trying to leanr as much as i can and apply it to my latest tunage.

Learnt a lot from my various teachers there, but a lot of it came from college work when doing HND music, and A Level Music Tech

Now also doing a BA Hons in Professional Studies (Music) so learning a hell of a lot there

All about hands on stuff for best learning with me personally

Musically I have played mainly guitar, also bass and drums, and a bit of piano and violin, so I do have an understanding of basic musical theory and producing live sounds, but as far as PC production I've just tried to learn off the internet and thru trial and error.
It seems like a long road cos you have so many dynamics that can change a whole song, from a tiny bit of compression here or a tweak of the eq there or a filter automated etc etc.
Gives me a headache thinking about it, but I enjoy messing around and hopefully I'll get a bit better in time.

Learnt from scratch just by messing around really. There wasn't much in the way of tutorials when I started. Got a lot easier to find the breaks and samples once the internet came about but I'm mostly self taught in terms of what to do with them.

Back
Top Bottom