DnB How did you learn to beatmatch and mix?

reid93

Was it just hours and hours of trying something until it worked

Learnt from a mate

Or online from a youtube vid etc

got the very, very general jist of it by watching a mate DJ once or twice. taught me the very basics and what generally mixing is tbh!

Then just hours and hours and hours of smashing it on my own day after day, always good to mix with peeps though I find

Mixing in front of people helps loads. Just going on ustream and playing to a few mates puts pressure on you. I've always found it helps

reading threads on here, and watching online, but i think having mates that mix as well helps infinitely. since i came to uni and especially this year having the same set up as most of them i've improved considerably on the same time last year

I was taught then for about a year I'd mix round at my mates house then end of June last year I bought some 1210's and it's just got better. You never stop learning IMO

after having decks for a few months i just hit me one day.
hey what if make them each play at a certain speed so the drums hit at the same time as each other, that would be cool.
took me forever to get it right, but when i pulled it off, it was swish. i wondered why every other dj wasn't doing this, i must be a 14 year old genius!
then i realised they all were and i had no idea what i was doing all this time.

having someone show u from the start will really help you. the only danger of this is picking up their potentially bad habbits or copying their style (if they have any that is)

its all practice practice practice. dont expect to be anywhere near good in the fist year. i really mean that too.
learn how to beatmatch first. try not to touch the platter (u will be thankfull for it later)
next learn where to place tracks, you will find they all really want to go together and this is where it starts to become really enjoyable.
then trial with your eq's, record yourself, see what sounds nice.

hey presto you can mix.

now u just need to learn how to dj.
tip = selection > everything else (IMO)

I was an MC for a short while before DJn... well.. if you call a 13 year old with a microphone an MC then yeh... used to see the DJs do their thing.. then after a while i decided i didnt want to mc anymore... and bought some decks... then spent the next how ever many years perfecting it.

At first its hard to understand what needs to be done. I never quite understood the whole pitch thing for the first couple of days i suppose. Was a lot of playting the tune... then starting the mix... moving the pitch the wrong way... fukin it up... and then repeating that untill you have them bang in time. I found it alot easeir to learn with two records that were the same..... id take no notice of where the pitch faqders were... move them into a random position and try and get them back in time. Then it once you get the hang of it gradually becomes alot easier. It wasnt to probably a few years after did i realise i could literally put the record on the deck... start the mix... and move the pitch fader into near enough the exact place to where its meant to be.. then fine tune... and leave it....

All in all mate... its like everything.... practice makes perfect. dont expect to know it all in a few hours... or even a few months... you wont. When you do figurwe it out... dont get cocky... cause theres a lot more to learn.... ie... sequencing....

But yeh... good luck mate.

how do you do the hole ustream thing... like connect to ur set up to be streamed??

Booth/record out from mixer plugged into line in or mic on your pc. Then select your mic/line in on upstream and bam. Ready to stream. Same principle goes for recording.

I actually received a pamphlet at some punk show that taught me how to beatmatch and mix. Crazy stuff.

Hmmm...

1426599-not_sure_if_serious.png

I took a massive gamble and bought a setup from one of my mates who hadn't got a clue how to mix himself- and being impatient as fuck he wanted to get rid of them as quickly as possible because he couldn't do it.

I literally self taught myself everything- so in that sense I'm proper proud of what I've learnt with such little input from anywhere/anybody else. It is possible to do, but as everyone else said if you can get somebody else to help you it would be insanely useful.

The only people I know who mix all use CDJs nowadays at any rate, so even if I ever did want help id be pretty fucked lol.

Back
Top Bottom