How did Rudimental get so big?

Dalek657

How did Rudimental get to where they are today? They have no DNB background and barely any discography before their home album. How did it happen? I get how it happened with Fresh Netsky Sigma etc. but how did it happen to Rudimental?

Why is a dnb background relevant at all? They made some catchy tunes that got all over the radio, hence loads of people bought their album and they got booked at all the festivals. Genre counts for nothing

they got so big because they made catchy tunes with vocals that the masses can sing along too, that's what I've realised, most people don't like a song without words in because they can't sing along to it, if you don't agree name me one tune in the pop charts without a vocal on it

I guess the fact they play live probably played a part in it.

I have seen a number of attempts of people trying to make DnB bands over the years and most of them turn out more Rock sounding. Rudimental are one of the few that have been able to do it and still sound like drum & bass.

I watched them at Park Life last year and thoroughly enjoyed their set. Also watched their Glastonbury highlights and I thought they were one of the best performances I watched.

Plus they make some decent tracks.

they got so big because they made catchy tunes with vocals that the masses can sing along too, that's what I've realised, most people don't like a song without words in because they can't sing along to it, if you don't agree name me one tune in the pop charts without a vocal on it

This is true, I used to work with a girl who said she couldn't dance to a song with out vocals??

The vocals are a major factor behind the success, that coupled with the popularity of drum n bass within the mainstream of recent years has led to acceptance by major labels whom have powerful PR skills and an ability to give the band a huge platform of exposure.

Their tracks have excellent vocalist contributions and lyrics that people can relate to and sing along with at the same time.

A wouldn't class them as a drum and bass act per say but that's an objectionable opinion.

They make good organic music and have a very talented group of individuals with an obvious enjoyment of the faster paced musical styles.

I wouldn't buy their album but also wouldn't turn off the radio if I hear them on.

I have a lot of respect for Rudimental, most of their music isn't to my taste but they managed to get this track to number 2 in the UK charts:

For me, that's a massive look for the dnb scene.

Signed to a smart label that knows how to easily develop artists. Remixed an Ed Sheeran song in like 2011. Catchy vocals with a few sounds that are unconventional in pop music thus making it interesting and new-feeling

Pendulum - Slam got into the charts

I was learning how to spell when Slam came out but I imagine there wasn't much music like it at the time. Probably blew everyone away and they felt like they had to buy it

Pendulum (Slam in particular) got major support from Radio 1.......most artists that get Radio 1 behind them generally hit the big time.

But why Slam? Pendulum themselves have said how surprised they were when it got big, its certainly an anomoly.

I have a lot of respect for Rudimental, most of their music isn't to my taste but they managed to get this track to number 2 in the UK charts:

For me, that's a massive look for the dnb scene.

what happened to ray liotta.lol

But why Slam? Pendulum themselves have said how surprised they were when it got big, its certainly an anomoly.
Fair point. The music video was kinda funny so maybe that contributed, back in the times when music videos were actually an effective method of promotion

I noticed the same thing a couple of years ago and the only one I could find was greyhound by s.h.m (uk)

It's the vocals 100%. Yes they write at the same tempo as D&B and they're clearly fans of it but the drums and bass aren't the focal point of any of their tunes that made it big.

I don't know, but I would almost certainly crawl over hiv infested broken glass for a mile in my birthday suit, just to suck a fart out of a Ella Eyre's dirtbox.

Back
Top Bottom